What hardtail would you choose if you had £750?

2»

Comments

• Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    That radon is a nice bie, however, for £750, I would have this:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1135196/

or this (no it's not what OP is after)

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1133281/

or

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1131519/

Again, all opinions.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • but for 750
    i just got xt cranks and rear mech and hubs, slx front and shifters
    race face stem and bars and seat post
    alex rims dt swiss spokes
    velo seat
    etc etc
    so what your saying isnt strictly true there are some well priced new bikes out there
  • Dirtrider
    exactly, as I said, it's opinions.

I actually looked at the spec on yours and do think that is a very good bike for the money to be fair.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    edited July 2012
    Oh FFS.

Of course he has a point. Assuming you you choose well, have a bit of knowledge and are not unlucky you will get a better bike for your money second hand - albeit there are risks and possible hidden costs.

Just accept there are two points of view, neither is right or wrong.
  • oh i agree the issue you have with the second hand route is getting the right bike in the right size in the right part of the country
  • BarryMcC
    BarryMcC Posts: 14
    I'm wary of stepping back into this discussion. I’m a bit out of my depth. I suppose I appreciate the interest.

This is my second mtb and I'm very much still on a learning curve. Since these posts I have been checking out second hand bikes in the Greater Glasgow/Edinburgh area. It seems to me that the key issue is, as someone previously said, location.

Thus far I haven't seen anything that takes my fancy but I'll keep looking
  • Dirtrider
    Sorry mate, it was a suggestion, as usual on here, every opinion has to be defended and can't be taken as someones view...........

anyway, I understand your predicement. Firstly, those links were purely examples, I have no idea where you live, although similar bikes will come up for sale whatever your location. Do you have any friends who know more than you do? If you did go and view a second hand bike, at least if you took someone who knew their way around a bike you would have more of a piece of mind.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • BarryMcC
    No need to apologise. I appreciate all the suggestions. The more the merrier.

I live in Motherwell (20 miles outside Glasgow) and unfortunately have no one to turn to who is into cycling. My girlfriend is a bit better than me! The whole process has made me realise I have a lot to learn.

What sites do you suggest I look at for second hand bikes?

Thanks again
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Barry

The classifieds on here and Sibgletrack forums are a good place to start.

But whilst Dirtrider is absolutely right that you could get a great second hand bike at your budget, given your circumstances you may just be better off looking for something new. £750 is a very decent budget for a hardtail and if you shop around you could pick up an excellent bike for that budget. Starting point seems to be the Rockrider for £500. But over the next month or so prices will begin to fall and chances are you will find some very good buys about.
    eg look at Pauls Cycles who often have good deals on old models. You may be able to pick up something like a Genesis Core 26.3 in this price range.

Or, as Charlie who isn't fond of surfing has mentioned above, there are some very good buys from Canyon and Radon. Don't be too worried about sizing - compare the geometry to something you have tried, look at the size calculators etc and you should be ok.
  • BarryMcC
    Chris,

Thanks very much for your post. The last week or so I've been doing exactly as you said.

Keeping my eye out for a wee bargain.

Cheers
  • swardchill
    swardchill Posts: 86
    Hi Barry I am still awaiting delivery of my Radon 7.0 which was a bargain at the price. Anyone else ordered a bike for bike-discount, I ordered last monday and have heard nothing since, not worried about the money cause I can always get that back but I have not had contact since I got the email confirmation, is that normal or should I give them a chase. I have seen that it can take up to 3 weeks on the t&c's for the bike to be dispatched. Cheers Simon
  • Corf
    Corf Posts: 2
    I ordered a team 6.0 on the 6th, got a DHL number on the 9th, got the Bike on the 13th.
  • swardchill wrote:
    Hi Barry I am still awaiting delivery of my Radon 7.0 which was a bargain at the price. Anyone else ordered a bike for bike-discount, I ordered last monday and have heard nothing since, not worried about the money cause I can always get that back but I have not had contact since I got the email confirmation, is that normal or should I give them a chase. I have seen that it can take up to 3 weeks on the t&c's for the bike to be dispatched. Cheers Simon

I bought the Team 7.0 from bike-discount.de, i got a confirmation email the same day i ordered it and it took roughly two weeks for it to arrive from Germany. They sent me an email 4 days later saying the bike was in the build stage and would arrive within the next 7-10 days.
    Give them a call if you have any concerns they speak good English.

Get some new pedals though the ones that come with it are complete trash, i have ordered some http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=15422 to replace mine.
    Bike has been awesome so far.
  • BarryMcC
    That's frustrating you haven't heard anything from them.I actually emailed them about the spec of a Merida bike because it differed from one posted on UK websites. They got back to me that day so I imagine there has been an oversight at some point.

Calling them would be a good idea to alleviate your fears. Let me know how you get on
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'd consider one of these - Regley Piglet x7 - good price at moment
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • 6 days mine took to arrive from bike-discount great service
  • swardchill
    swardchill Posts: 86
    Right spoke to bike-discount who said that the order was cancelled, I believe this was mostly my fault cause i ordered a 6.0 then cancelled and ordered a 7.0 and it all got a little confusing. Re ordered today as bike-discount said they would offer the same discount. I paid by CC and have just received my order confirmation along with the PDF of the invoice, the thing thats got me stumped is, I thought when you entered your CC details at checkout that they would take payment then. The email confirmation has the following lines:-

Many thanks for your order, which we confirm with the attached PDF-file.

If you have ordered by payment in advance, the delivery will be effected as soon as the invoice amount is credited to our account No. 055 515 100, Bank Code No. 380 700 24 at the Deutsche Bank AG.
    IBAN.No.: DE26380700240055515100
    BIC: DEUTDEDB380 (Only for payments from abroad)

ATTENTION:
    Please indicate your reference-No. when remitting the amount!

Does this mean I need to pay again as they had not originally take the money or is this a standard note and I just have to wait for my parcel number?

Sorry to keep going on. Cheers Simon
  • BarryMcC
    That is confusing. Have you checked your bank a/c to see if they have taken the money?

If they haven't, you've answered your own question.

I ended up getting a Kona Cinder Cone. CRC had a a great price on the 2011 model and having tested a Blast I couldn't say no.
  • Disaster averted, Have receiving my tracking number and will be here in 3 days yay.
  • BarryMcC
    How did you get on with the Radon? What's it like to ride?

In the end, and out of nowhere, I got a Kona Cinder Cone 2011. It had a decent spec and got it at £560 from CRC, albeit it is red!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=74284

Not had a chance to ride it as the bike came with a slightly buckled front disc brake (and with some marks).

CRC are sending me out a replacement brake and a voucher to apologise so all's well.

Thanks for all the help
  • BeenMtb
    BeenMtb Posts: 42
    I own a rockhopper Expert. I would 100% recommend this bike to anyone. It feels right and is such a smooth ride and especially at £720 is great!
    SPECIALIZED ROCKHOPPER EXPERT 2012