Buying Ragley Blue Pig. Size advice.

boristhespie
boristhespie Posts: 109
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Away to order blue pig x frame. Am 5ft10-11 with 31" inside leg.

Was told you get smaller frame than usual with Ragleys and that a 16" was fine for me. My other bikes are 18"-19".

So about to order 16" is this a mistake?

Comments

• thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Measure the effective top tube length of your current bikes and compare. You can always put the seat up more. I'm 5'9-10" with about a 31" leg and find my 16" Inbred fine size wise.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • boristhespie
    Got a 19" Rocky Mountain Vertex50 with longish stem. So fairly xc but looking for fun bike to improve my bike confidence and skill in chucking bikes about. I am crappy at this the now. Too chicken.
  • boristhespie
    So 16" seems about right?
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Yes, 16" (584mm) would be OK, I think you could also go for a 17" (590mm) my Inbred is 589mm. The smaller frame will be very slightly lighter. you'll also need a longer seat post on the 16" which will add the weight back on!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    I'm 5'11" with a 31" inside leg and ride a 18" Blue Pig Mk2. I find it spot-on with a 55mm stem.
  • boristhespie
    How have you found your bike in general?
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    I absolutely f*#&ing love it. It's right what they say about riding on the flat or uphill, you have to provide the enthusiasm but if you do it pays you back in spades. Point it downhill and it's ridicuously stable and confidence inspiring. It's a frame to bring out your inner hooligan !
  • boristhespie
    Anyone else?