Recessed Cleat Question

iantw1962
iantw1962 Posts: 7
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi
I have recently changed from road shoes and SPD pedals to shoes with recessed cleats / double sided pedals for my bike, as its easier to walk in them.
What I am finding is that the new shoe a mavic, postions the recessed cleat even in its most forward postion too far down my foot and not under the ball of the foot as I am used to with my old SPD's. I'm find this uncomfortable, and not pedalling as efficiently.

Has anyone else found this, or is this a factor of all reessed cleat shoes?
Any advice please, the SPD's are great but not so good as plan to tour and walk.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    something sounds wrong.

which Mavic shoe is it? which pedals?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iantw1962
    The pedals are BBB dual purpose double sided platform/SPD's Shoes Mavic Cruize MTB shoes -very comfy except when using cleats!
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    iantw1962 wrote:
    The pedals are BBB dual purpose double sided platform/SPD's Shoes Mavic Cruize MTB shoes -very comfy except when using cleats!

I use Mavic Chasm MTB shoes and can get exactly the same cleat position as I do with Specialized road shoes.

1. Remember, the plate that sits inside the shoe (into which the cleat's screws locate via the slots in the shoe's sole) usually has 2 pairs of holes. Sounds to me like you've chosen the wrong pair of holes in the plate. If you switch to using the other pair of holes, you should be able to get a more forward cleat position.

2. NB. if instead it's the slots in the shoe's sole that prevents you achieving the desired cleat position, then either (i) the shoes aren't right and need swapping (seems unlikely), or (ii) you've previously used a very strange non-standard cleat position, which you'll not be able to recreate in other more-standard shoes.

Reckon the problem is most likely 1. above.
  • iantw1962
    The internal fixing plate is in the forward most position and I'm using the screw holes nearest the toe of the shoe, the shoe itself does not seem in the right place on the pedal, - a possible change of shoes needed then me thinks?
  • rdt
    iantw1962 wrote:
    The internal fixing plate is in the forward most position and I'm using the screw holes nearest the toe of the shoe, the shoe itself does not seem in the right place on the pedal, - a possible change of shoes needed then me thinks?

Does that mean the constraints on you achieving the desired cleat position are definitely the slots in the soles? ie you've bumped up against the end of the slots?

Looking at both pairs of my recessed cleat shoes, I can seen that the cleats could go a little bit further forward, but only a touch. So I'm close to that limit, and I seem to remember it's similar-ish on my Spesh road shoes.

Maybe you have a very cleat-forward position, and been unlucky to get shoes with slots further back than usual. If you still have your old road shoes, you should be able to compare the slot/hole positions between the two pairs to confirm or otherwise whether the slot position is to blame. If it's definitely the slots, and you're set on your old cleat position, then it's either new shoes or drill the soles in order to lengthen the slots.
  • iantw1962
    Yes, I have the cleats at the end of the slots, comparing the road shoes gives the impression that the Mavic slots are not forward enough. good idea on drilling to lengthen the slots, I'll give that a try.
    thanks for your input.
  • rdt
    No worries - good luck!
  • iantw1962
    problem solved ! drilled the slots out an extra 1/2 cm repositioned cleats and now shoes feel fine.
  • rdt
    Good stuff.