Clubs

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Would be interested to hear about newbies' experiences, there's a club near me I've wondered about, but:
1. Goes out on Saturday AM, which is no good for me (kiddie taxi Daddy day)
2. I'm quite fat and not fit, struggle to manage more than 14mph average according to Mr Cateye
3. I'm really not sure about how clique-y clubs might be...
4. Despite my over bearing exterior I'm not that confident and quite shy :oops:

Thoughts?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I went on my first club ride on Sunday. I'd only been on two previous rides on my road bike (20 and 34 milers) but decided to go with the medium group which was around 20 riders. The group split after about 30 miles and I stayed with the faster group to do some hills. Ended up doing over 70 miles and even though I struggled in parts (climbs!), they were absolutely fantastic about it. My apologies for holding the group up were seen as odd and I was given loads of advice and encouragement (apparently I'm built like a climber even though I need a lot of work in that department!). Big ups to Ajax Cycling Club.

It was a fantastic experience and I can't wait to go again. I think you'll have a great time and really improve in a way that solo rides won't allow. Go for it.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I've also had nothing but good experiences since joining a club for the first time in January this year. There are obviously differences between clubs, but I've certainly not found mine cliquey. Not being able to make the Saturday club runs might be more of a problem, but you may well find that club members also arrange other rides that are more convenient for you.
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I've joined a local club, haven't been able to make any rides yet though.

Definitely want to get out cycling with others more.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have been out twice with a local club on their Sunday morning run and at no time was I made to feel out of place. No pressure to join up either and lots of advice and pleasent chat along the way.

I would suggest it also depends on how you approach it and if you go in their with a good attitude I expect they respond accordingly.

From my experience I would say do it.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Would be interested to hear about newbies' experiences, there's a club near me I've wondered about, but:
    1. Goes out on Saturday AM, which is no good for me (kiddie taxi Daddy day)
    Unless they also do a Sunday or midweek ride or you can find a way round the taxi duty, there's not much to say about this.

2. I'm quite fat and not fit, struggle to manage more than 14mph average according to Mr Cateye
    You can probably manage at least another 2 mph riding in a group. Most clubs of a reasonable size should have an intermediate group riding in this speed range (depending on terrain).

3. I'm really not sure about how clique-y clubs might be...
    A few are, most aren't. You'll soon find out if you found a bad one.

4. Despite my over bearing exterior I'm not that confident and quite shy
    As long as you didn't find a clique-y club, you'll be fine. All the clubs I have been a member of would prefer this than a Billy Big Balls on their first club run. I'm sure they will encourage you to come out of your shell.
  • Grill wrote:
    I went on my first club ride on Sunday. I'd only been on two previous rides on my road bike (20 and 34 milers) but decided to go with the medium group which was around 20 riders. The group split after about 30 miles and I stayed with the faster group to do some hills. Ended up doing over 70 miles and even though I struggled in parts (climbs!), they were absolutely fantastic about it. My apologies for holding the group up were seen as odd and I was given loads of advice and encouragement (apparently I'm built like a climber even though I need a lot of work in that department!). Big ups to Ajax Cycling Club.

It was a fantastic experience and I can't wait to go again. I think you'll have a great time and really improve in a way that solo rides won't allow. Go for it.

Been thinking about the same thing myself, and also being in Cardiff, guess I should take the plunge and give Ajax a go!

Same as the OP, not particularly fit at the moment after an illness, but I'm sure there's a nice slow group I can tag along with... hopefully they won't mock my sh!tty Lidl gear 8)
  • I've joined my local club and will be doing my first ride on sunday morning i missed last sundays ride but looking forward to this weeks :)
    Trek Madone 5.9 2012
    Cboardman Team 2011
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Been thinking about the same thing myself, and also being in Cardiff, guess I should take the plunge and give Ajax a go!

Same as the OP, not particularly fit at the moment after an illness, but I'm sure there's a nice slow group I can tag along with... hopefully they won't mock my sh!tty Lidl gear 8)

The slower group had 20+ in it on Sunday and if it was anything like the mid group they probably ended up splitting that too. Don't worry about your gear, I didn't see anyone passing judgement or making any remotely derogatory comments.

One of the girls in my group was on an older steel framed Giant and absolutely caned me up the hills! Fantastic rider and it goes to show that the kit doesn't make as much difference as people think.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Deffo join a club... Although most clubs should let you come out with them anyway..

My club is great because there is no pressure to join at all.. and we have things going on most nights..

Monday - Road Sprint training
    Tuesday - Time Trials
    Wednesday - Roller training
    Thursday - XC MTB Ride
    Sunday - General Road ride

And Fridays and Saturdays, ( if thats not enough riding for you anyway) there is usually a few people going out to do something ( usually a trail centre of some sort )
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    I've also been considering finding/joining a local club. I work with a few guys who ride and we go out together occasionally (road and mtb), but as we all work shifts it can be hard work planning a day.
    I do know that a couple of the guys go over to Ilkley CC, but thats a bit of a trek for me.

Does anyone happen to know of any clubs around the Skipton/Barnoldswick/Colne area?
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • secretsam
    ricklilley wrote:
    Does anyone happen to know of any clubs around the Skipton/Barnoldswick/Colne area?

:D Not even sure where that is...

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ricklilley
    SecretSam its on the North Yorkshire and Lancashire border.

Cheers Smidsy I'll have a look on there later, just browsing on phone before i go to work.
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • secretsam
    ricklilley wrote:
    SecretSam its on the North Yorkshire and Lancashire border

Ta - Is that near the Trough of Bowland? I've been round there and it's lovely

• ricklilley
    Not sure about the Trough, but Bolton by Bowland and Bowland forest (gisburn forest trail centre) are only about 10 miles from me. It is a lovely place to go riding though.
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • velogee
    velogee Posts: 133
    Going on my first club run was the best thing I have ever done on a bike. People into cycling are generally very friendly. Like other posters have said, a club would rather someone shy, then Billy Big Sack.
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018
  • I help run a Club and i normally welcome all the newbies, so i'll try to and be honest and truthful.

1) Lots do Club Runs on Sundays and will have freindly/unofficial runs during the week.

2) Being a bit fat and not fit will change as you ride more. Club Runs normally average 16-18mph,14mph is just at the border for Club riding, however once you've learnt to "hold a wheel", riding in a group always makes you quicker. Initially, look for a Club that has a "social ride" or equivalent, after a few months you will be able to do the slightly faster rides.

3) Unfortunately, there are some Clubs which are "cliquey". Be in touch online initially and see how they react, if they seem cliquey, avoid them, let them get on with it

4) If the people in the Club are at all decent, it will be easy. Just join the rides, speak to the person next to you occassionaly and let the "characters" make the banter. Not everyone can be the loudest in a group! :D

We have had a couple of "larger" gentlemen join us recently, they were made welcome and have fitted in very well and are now organising runs at their own pace. It is much appreciated and helps the Club.

Give it a go, and enjoy it!

Chris
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • ... a couple of "larger" gentlemen join us recently,... and have fitted in very well ...

great turn of phrase :lol:
  • pak-man
    pak-man Posts: 76
    A related question - how do you generally find clubs react if newbies turn up riding a bit of bling? So, someone who's knocking on a bit, overweight, needs to do more fitness work but rides a bike costing a couple of thousand pounds. Been pondering this question for a while now so will be really interested in hearing people's views.
  • We take them on a run which includes a bit of muddy cyclocross to "break the bling in" :twisted:
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...