POLL: Turbo or rollers?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Want to get some sort of trainer to use for getting less unfit in winter months (and in our currently sh177y summer :( )

Have a spare bike I can use, but would you recommend turbo or rollers? May use inside but likely to be relegated to the garage :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Any advice, tips, recommendations etc most welcome, don't want to spend more than say £150 (will take advantage of summer sales)

Going out on bike not an option sometimes due to time constraints, etc (kids, job, kids, job, etc)

Thanks in advance

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Turbo if you want to put a DVD on, let your mind wander and relax a bit, rollers if you want to pay attention and work on balance too
  • secretsam
    RPD Steve wrote:
    Turbo if you want to put a DVD on, let your mind wander and relax a bit, rollers if you want to pay attention and work on balance too

LOL, I'm pretty good at balancing, I'm buying this to improve my work-life balance (ba dum! thank you)

Aren't Turbos NOISY?!?!?!?!?!

• Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Rollers for me...

Much better... not only does it get you fitter but helps your technique aswell..
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    had both, prefer rollers

just cant be bothered on the turbo any more and its so easy to just stop pedalling
    in contrast, the rollers need you to pay attention to stay on them and its easier on the legs for just easy simple spins warming up or down
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Turbo first, rollers second.

Turbos aren't that loud if you buy a decent one. I've got a tacx sirius softgel and I can use this in the house with the kids asleep. Turbos are more versatile than rollers unless you get rollers with a resistance unit but these are expensive.

The advantage of rollers are the balance/technique improvements and the fact you can just put your bike on them and ride.

In an ideal world I'd have both, but it's not ideal, so I have a turbo. The end.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • secretsam
    I went for a Turbo, more faff but more stable, can use a 'spare' bike for it - got a Tacx on order from Wiggle