Bike MS New York City 2012

I realise none of you will be talking part but I think I will be so I thought I'd put out a feeler and see if anyone else is either interested or even better taking part!

http://beatms.mssociety.org.uk/netcommu ... px?pid=860

My Mrs has MS so coupled with a traffic free way to see the big Apple I thought this would be a perfect weekend away

Comments

• bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    suggest you post on http://www.nycc.org -- new york cycling club message board. and if you are in town for the weekend (or even mid week), they do tons of rides.

they also sponsor the escape from new york ride, which is the week prior. think a sportive, but with serious sit down-type food stops.

do know the route for the ms ride well -- the george washington bridge bit is awesome. do note that the rest is largely through new jersey, which isn't the most scenic. but i likely am jaded!
  • Thanks for that.

I'm currently looking into either hiring a bike out there or taking mine over.
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    There's fairly limited options for renting decent bikes in new york, which I always found surprising. Again guys on nycc may be helpful. Toga/gotham cycles used to rent high end bikes if you indicated you were looking to buy. Also would try sid's (cannondale dealer primarily) and possibly metro or larry & jeffs (they both used to rent but I think stopped). Long shot is conrads, the local seven dealer (again this is really test rides not taking it out for 100 miles).
  • I'm fairly sure I'll just take my bike - the couple I'm staying with will let me keep in their apartment (it's only a couple of days) It seems the airlines are ok with this too(taking the bike, not the apartment thing). And as I have a fairly radical bike set-up (uneven leg length etc) I think that makes the most sense. And how many people can say they've ridden their bike on another continent :D

I've registered on nycc and have spoken to the MS chapter in NY and New England(who do a nice cycling jersey with 'MS' logos on it.

It's just a case of putting in the training miles now. Oh and raising all the sponsorship. Still, it's my rest day today :lol: