What Chain and Cassette combo ???

stantheman206
stantheman206 Posts: 106
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone recommend what cassette/chain combo i should get. Looking at spending around £50 for both so I suppose around XT level, I've heard SRAM are very good too, so which one do i go for???

Also is this a good deal for gear cables for my Kona Caldera ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67788

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    10sp XT 11-32 is a very nice, light cassette and I like the closer ratios in the middle. Chain - take your pick. I put a SRAM PC 1051 on mine with that cassette...it works well but don't they all?

those two came to €69 plus about €9 delivery from Rose Bikes (about £60) so a bit over budget. If you're after 10sp I'd recommend the cassette though..cheaper chain?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I should have said, it's a 9 speed set up im running at the moment. I've seen the XT cassette for £40 from CRC plus chain. So I reckon it may be a little cheaper. Not sure how hard it would be to change to a 10 speed??
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I don't think you have seen XT chain and cassette for 40 quid.

To 10 it you'd need at min those new bits, rear mech and shifter too
  • I don't think you have seen XT chain and cassette for 40 quid.

To 10 it you'd need at min those new bits, rear mech and shifter too

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20677

Here's the link for CRC XT 9 speed cassette (no chain). SRAM chain is around £15 more
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Rose Bikes (or Action Sports or any of the German companies) may well be cheaper than CRC, even factoring in shipping. Particularly as the Euro's not that strong.
  • Thanks for the suggestion jee . I have had a hunt around and CRC are the cheapest for the bits i'm after.

9 speed XT cassette £39.99
    SRAM PC971 9 speed chain £14.99

Are these compatible ??

I'm gonna treat myself to some new gear cables too XTR inner and outers reduced to £17.99 Happy days!!!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That works.

On the cables, all you're getting are the rubber caps and locking ferrules. Otherwise 2 stainless inners and a couple of meters of Sp41 will do the job for half the price.
  • cool, thanks chunk