Newbie Decision - Opinions needed

Braeworth
Braeworth Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I am new to road cycling. Bought a Cannondale Synapse Sora a couple of months ago. Have been doing some 10 - 15 mile blasts during the week and 30 -35 mile rides on a weekend and when I have time off work. I have become addicted, absolutely love it and love the Synapse.
I was looking at buying new wheels and tyres but now am thinking if I should keep the money and put it towards something really nice. I have been drooling over some of the more expensive bikes, such as Canyon, Cube and the more expensive Cannondales plus others.
So the question is new wheels or new bike. I could keep the Synapse for the winter

Comments

• The 2013 bikes are out around now. There'll be plenty of lovely shop assistants more than willing to relieve you of your hard earned.

Or why not buy a frame and the bits and build your 'perfect' machine?
  • Braeworth
    Hi Englishman,

The question really is, do I spend approx £300 upgrading the wheels and tyres from the standard Cannondale ones or put that towards another bike
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Even if you buy a more expensive bike they tend to come with a compromise of components and you may find you want to change wheels on that one.

The Synapse is a good bike and if you are happy with everything why not get the wheels you want and see how it goes.

If you still want another bike chances are you can use the new wheels on that one and then keep the Synapse as a winter bike ;-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Braeworth
    Thanks.

I guess the sensible thing to do is get some new wheels and tyres and see how that goes. The Synapse is great. Just there are some beautiful looking bikes out there.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Buy new wheels, saddle and bartape (change the colour of these) ... It will be like a new bike, especially if you're still riding it straight out the box ...

Also drop the front end by one spacer (or 2) to get a feel more like a race bike ...

We done all these to my gf's Synapse and it worked a treat ...

After a year or so you still have decent wheels and saddle for any new bike ...
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    Why do you need a new bike?

My bike is way better than my legas are capable of doing justice, stay with what you have until your substantially fitter then buy a better bike and enjoy it more.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • Braeworth
    :D I don't need a new bike. Was just tempted by some of the beautiful machines I have seen recently.
    I am new to road cycling but really like the Synapse. I will start looking at new wheels and tyres, which was the original plan.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    +1 upgrade the wheels, the boggo ones on my CAAD8 were gash

new tyres make a huge difference

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Braeworth
    Hi SecretSam,

What wheels and tyres did you put on the CAAD 8