Genesis or Orange hhhmmmmm?

Keveo
Keveo Posts: 51
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Good Evening!

I have around about £1000 to spend on decent solid hardtail, the finishing kit doesn't have to be ground breaking as I'm planning on this bike being a keeper, so don't mind upgrading in the future! I mainly ride trail & have a love for technical demanding sections (who doesn't?? :lol: )

After a lot of debating I am down to Genesis Core 26.4, Genesis Latitude 10 or the Orange Pure 7.

However my local bike shop is tempting me with a Surly Karate Monkey, which I will have a lend of later in the week!

Does anyone have any input on the above? I'm really struggling to split them apart!!

Any help greatly appreciated! :wink:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you have links to the exact bikes?
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    The link to the Surly shows a 29", rigid, single speed bike - is that what you're looking at? Not even similar to the other 3 bikes.

For what it's worth I think the Core is the best of the other 3 spec wise. It's an alu frame though and the others are steel - what is it you're after?

• supersonic
    I agree, the Core is the best specced bike: steel adds weight and cost.
  • Keveo
    The things is I was all for the core, But once I'd been to my local shop we got talking about the steel frame genesis bikes & then came to the Surly...

The shop is offering this as a custom build with a 2 x 10 setup, with the option of running a 80/100mm fork. The reviews for these are all really positive but I'm not sure steel is the way to go???!!!

I'm getting a lend of the surly tomorrow so that may sway me! Shame the local trails are all pretty much flooded! :(
  • supersonic
    Testing is the way forward. Steel can offer a supple ride, but so can alu - and good steel does cost, and is always heavier.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If you want a steel bike, then out of those 3 I would go with the Genesis without a shadow of a doubt.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    We have a Genesis Core 30, On-One Inbred (steel) and a Cube LTD SL, the cube is noticeably lighter when you lift it, the Core and Inbred (steel) feel virtually the same to lift. You can’t really tell the Cube is noticeably lighter when riding.
    I know the Inbred is at the cheap end of steel frames, but I don’t think it’s particularly heavy. I think Genesis steel frames are known for being quite solid.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I know the Pure 7 isn't great value and is a little heavy but it is the best riding hardtail I have rode. Great geometry & excellent ride quality. It's a design which has evolved over many, many years
  • supersonic
    The frame is 6lbs though, a Cotic Soul is even more compliant, weighs 4.5lbs, uses a better alloy and is cheaper.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    My latest (steel HT) obsession is the Sunn Tzar;

9501.jpg

Bit of a different bike but looks like it's be a lot of fun coming down!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    supersonic wrote:
    The frame is 6lbs though, a Cotic Soul is even more compliant, weighs 4.5lbs, uses a better alloy and is cheaper.

I can't argue with that but I thought that the P7 was just a nicer bike for shredding down twisty singletrack. The Cotic I rode was a few years old though & they may have been updated since then. The P7 Pro I rode was a 2011, they aren't great value, especially as a frame only but I just didn't notice that it was heavy even on a big climb.
  • Last time I was on winstanleysbikes.co.uk they had a genesis latitude 20 2012 spec for £1039. If you want a steel bike for a grand you won't get much better than that. IMO.
  • thelonegroover
    I agree, that's a great saving and would be a better buy than the Orange.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I like both the genesis bikes myself - can't go wrong with either. Maybe the core?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Keveo
    Tried the surly karate monkey today & it didn't float by boat!

I have knock the orange of the list as I feel it doesn't offer much bang for the buck! I'm now left with the genesis altitude 10 And the genesis core 26.4.

Steel or aluminium?
  • thelonegroover
    I've never ridden a Genesis Latitude but I have read several reviews that say they are quite solid and don't really utilise the springy properties of steel. I’d try and ride each bike over the same sort of ground and just choose the one that feels best for you.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20