Paralympic cyclist hit by car - Daily Mail article

HebdenBiker
HebdenBiker Posts: 787
edited July 2012 in The cake stop
Rachel Morris may miss the Games after she was hit by a car while riding a TT. The DM article is OK, but the comments underneath are shocking...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2171439/Paralympics-2012-Cycling-champion-Rachel-Morris-hit-car-road-trial.html

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    Bikes should not be on the roads at all what about the shock to the driver, selfish woman

- andrea, liverpool, 10/7/2012 21:06
    Could somebody in the Liverpool are please beat Andrea to within an inch of her life? Then when she's nearly recovered sue her for everything she's got for the emotional distress caused by having to deal with the stupid bint in the only way the selfish tart would understand.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Bikes should not be on the roads at all what about the shock to the driver, selfish woman

Could somebody in the Liverpool are please beat Andrea to within an inch of her life? Then when she's nearly recovered sue her for everything she's got for the emotional distress caused by having to deal with the stupid bint in the only way the selfish tart would understand.

Lol cant help but laugh at that comment, how does being crashed into make you selfish. Though it does seem to be the attitude of many drivers, alot seem to think it should be illegal for a bike to be on the road and that we should all be banished to cycle paths and bimble along at 5 mph with bells on our bikes.
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    I wouldnt take too much notice-the daily heil attracts the unhinged.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Oi, my granddad used to read that paper! He wasn't unhin... er nevermind. runs in the family... (no I don't read it but the DM readers do make me nash my teeth.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    A colleague once reacted to the sight of a cyclist being knocked off their bike with "that's my worst nightmare. And it can happen to anyone!" suggesting that due care and attention are things for other people. It came as something of a relief when a sizeable majority of those present pointed out how moronic it sounded.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Those bikes are very close to the ground so wouldn't be surprised if the risk of being rear-ended is greater. I saw a car plow through a large group of ducklings and their mother crossing the road a few months back. It was horrendous, they flattened the mother and the chicks were running around unsure where to go. Then the car behind it, tailgating obviously, went straight over them too.

I refuse to believe people would do that on purpose, and it was one of those little box cars that elderly people drive. So I wonder if it was someone that could barely see over the dashboard who was blissfully unaware of the carnage they were causing.

N.B. I returned to the location later in the day and the majority of the duckings appeared to have escaped the road and are now enjoying long fruitful lives, I'm sure.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Shmo wrote:
    N.B. I returned to the location later in the day and the majority of the duckings appeared to have escaped the road and are now enjoying long fruitful lives, I'm sure.
    Bathing in orange sauce

And lol, Daily Mail
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Shmo wrote:
    I refuse to believe people would do that on purpose

You're obviously entitled to your beliefs, but I've heard people boast about doing just this sort of thing. It's why I'm wholly in favour of re-introducing the European bison into Great Britain
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Veronese68 wrote:

I would, but she's probably hiding under a rock.