32 teeth or 26 and Marzocchi & Fox rorks

bekneeboy
bekneeboy Posts: 56
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
So, I'm about to replace my chainset - cassette and chain - for either the Sram PG970 DH (26teeth) or 32 tooth variety of the non DH, both in 9spd. What I would like some advice from some kind person is, am I actually going to miss the extra 6 teeth on climbs - climbs being Cwmcarn-esque.

A little about the bike this is going on, on one 456, this is my bike of preference for commuting to work but I only ever use the higher gears (top 9) when actually mountain biking, and I much prefer riding up a hill slowly than push so that is probably one area that I might miss the extra few teeth...

Also, I've read a bit about Fox forks having a service thing necessary for the warranty, which, although I understand taking care of your bits and pieces is important, but I like to service myself and as little as possible, so perhaps they aren't a strong fit. Which brings me onto what I then read about new Marzocchis - which have a 3 year warranty with no service requirement for the warranty, now, can anyone recommend some of the newer Marzocchis offering between 100mm&160mm travel etc. that they have/ridden or been impressed with? Price range upto about £400, although I may have to reconsider...

I appreciate any advice.
http://bigbikerideeurope.appspot.com/ - my plans for a tour of Europe riding as much as possible.

Comments

• RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    Go for the 32 tooth option the Dh version is more limited on ratios regarding forks Fox are generally pretty reliable most manufactures say about regular servicing as standard
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If your riding on road 26t front is going to be very limiting, my commuter runs a 46t 1x9 (11-28t) and is about right for most moderate up and down hills.
    Not done Cwmcarn but I did all of Cannock regularily on a 32T front which is why my 2x9 is now 26/36!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Just work out the equivalent ratios on your set up now and get climbing. The only person that knows if your gonna miss the extra teeth is you.

EDIT - I thought you were talking about the chainset - you mean the cassette, I guess? Yes - 11-32t all day long for me. I've gotta SRAM PG-970 (9sp, 12-26) on the the DH bike and there's no way I'd put one of those on any bike where I was going to be pedalling up hill for any length of time - already gotta change to a 34t ring (from the 38t that comes as standard) because even small uphill sections have me out of the seat on 38/26. 34/26 should be fine as there's not a lot of uphill when doing downhill :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bekneeboy
    bekneeboy Posts: 56
    Yeh, may have meant drive chain... I live NEAR (nobody ever lives in) Swindon, so it's fairly flat for the commute until a road bike is built...

Just checked the chain rings I'll be using, 22tooth so 22:26 or 22:32...

Cheers then!
    http://bigbikerideeurope.appspot.com/ - my plans for a tour of Europe riding as much as possible.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would go for a 32t cassette and a set of Marzocchi or Rockshox forks. I have had Fox Float forks and they are ok but overpriced and the coating on the stanchion wears quickly which I have been told is a common problem. Either Marzocchi 44's or Rockshox Revelations would be my choice, probably the Marzocchi's
  • For anyone interested - I went for the 26 tooth option and so far see not a lot of difference. It keeps me going at an acceptable pace when going uphill...