Cassette & Chainset

Agrius
Agrius Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

Im new to road biking and just about to purchase my first bike. Ive done the hard part and picked a bike, I've decided to go for the Ribble Sportive 7005.
Ive tried to learn as much as possible about bikes and different components but I'm struggling with picking the right cassette and chainset. The Ribble bike builder is great but there is just too much choice for someone who is just starting out.
Therefore can anyone help me pick the correct cassette and chainset please?

I have decided to stick with the Shimano Sora 9 spd double groupset as I can't afford to upgrade. But with this you then get the option of the following cassette - 11-25, 12-23, 12-25, 13-25 and 14-25.
They also give you the options of a Compact 170 34/50 or a Compact 175 34/50 chainset.

I live in south Manchester so will mainly be riding the roads around me during the week nights after work then on the weekend my plan is to find some hills to play on.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I would go for 11/25 as a beginner.

Edit: I've changed my mind, rather than using that calculator, if you are 6 foot tall or less go for th 170mm, if you are taller or have a very long inside leg, then go for the 175mm.

I'm surprised they don't offer the most common 172.5 option.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I would go for 11/25 as a beginner.

Edit: I've changed my mind, rather than using that calculator, if you are 6 foot tall or less go for th 170mm, if you are taller or have a very long inside leg, then go for the 175mm.

I'm surprised they don't offer the most common 172.5 option.
    I'll second that
  • kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    I would suggest the compact with the 12-25. You will hardly miss the top gear 11 instead of 12 and you will have a slightly closer matched set of gears. I know that it is only a small difference but I change gear a lot and like closer ratios.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    I would advise you to learn to pedal - that is using a high cadence. This is what I've always done when coaching newcomers and we've had gold medal successes at local and national level. I'd go for 170mm cranks and 13-25 cassette - if you can pedal 50 x 13 at 100 rpm you will be going at almost 31 mph. OK you may spin out going downhill at first, but anybody can go fast downhill, its going fast on the flat and uphill which really counts.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    You'll never know until you buy the stuff. Sorry, but that's always the way with cycling. You choose mudguards, for example, take them home, burst open the bag, trim the plastic fins and bend the metal stays - only to realise that the OTHER set in the shop will have fitted your bike better!
    All the posters offer good advice. I would tend to go for as many teeth as you can on the big cog to help you climb. Enjoy finding out though. That's half the fun.
  • Agrius
    Agrius Posts: 3
    Thats great, thanks for all the advise. I can't wait to get the bike and get on the road!

Cheers,