Which bikes from...

ruudwoods
ruudwoods Posts: 11
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
all of the hybrids on the evans website upto the value of £330 which would you recommend?

I've decided i'm going to buy one of these. It will be for travelling 20miles per day, mostly on trails. Which would be the speediest and use the least of my energy? These are the main factors for me, i'm looking to get there fast whilst burning up as little energy as possible.

Comments

• corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    If you want to go fast, usually the main difference in speed will be down to aerodynamics and that will be more down to your riding position than the actual wind resistance of the bike, frame etc,. So you're looking for something with a fairly low riding position...

Only two bikes in your described group jump out at me as fitting that bill, and those are the Scott Sub 40 and the Jamis Allegro Sport 2012. Most if not all of the others seem to have a more upright position.

The Jamis Allegro looks like more of a road bike with flat bars than a traditional hybrid. My guess (I've not seen it up close) is it might not take the wider tyres, mudguards etc, that would make your journey on trails more comfortable. Choose that one if speed is what you need at all costs, but personally I'd probably go for the Scott Sub 40 as the more practical and comfortable option for that sort of ride.
  • ruudwoods
    Thanks mate. I dont know much about componenta etc so its good to get opinion from those in the know.

These are two of the three i was favouring.

The other was the trek 7.2fx

Is there much between a 7.2fx and the T30 for example?

The main thing really is to do the job in good time with mnimum effort so i guess aerodynamics as you say is the main factor in this.

Would the tyres on the jamis not be suited to trail paths? I just presumed they should be fine given its a hybrid.
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    I can't see a huge difference between the 7.2fx and the T30, except of course the T30 has mudguards, prop stand, chain guard and suspension seatpost, and as a result some of the other components are maybe not as good a spec as the 7.2fx and overall the T30 is likely to be heavier. I'm sure the 7.2x would be more than capable.

The tyres on the Jamis look like they should be tough enough. The reviews on the website point to it having a harsh ride though and that might be partly due to them being a bit narrower tyres than on either of those Treks or the Scott. On the road it wouldn't make much difference but if you're riding 20 miles on trails each way, then after a while you might be hankering after a slightly more comfortable ride.

The only other thing I'd mention is that Scott have their own fixing system for mudguards, rack etc, so it's probably best to ask about those when you buy.
  • ruudwoods
    T30 may well be worth sone consideration also then.

I'm now also looking at a sirrus specialized in the same price bracket. How would this compare?

and a bit of a wildcard... i can get the norco ccx3 for about 125 extra. Would this be well worth the ectra money? I dont see many cheap cyclocross bike around