Why would you complain??

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Why???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18778723

Apart from that possibly being the coolest headline ever - I would be campaigning to HAVE the SAMs on the roof of my tower block were I to live in one! :lol:

(and being serious - there is no argument to be had from the residents)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Said it before - that we know about them and where they are suggests they're not really there for anything other than being a big sign saying "we are taking the threat seriously wannabe bad people".
  • Kieran_Burns
    Oh God
    The MoD was also accused of failing to carry out an equality impact assessment to take into account the needs of disabled residents.

Wheelchair access to the missiles?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Oh God
    The MoD was also accused of failing to carry out an equality impact assessment to take into account the needs of disabled residents.

Of course.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Why???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18778723

Apart from that possibly being the coolest headline ever - I would be campaigning to HAVE the SAMs on the roof of my tower block were I to live in one! :lol:

(and being serious - there is no argument to be had from the residents)

I f*cking well wouldn't want them on my roof!!!! :)

Seriously a block of residential flats has gone from being no target to a very serious target for terrorists and nutters in one foul swoop...why would you want that?

And how bad do the security services have to be to let a freaking hijacked plane within a mile of the olympic park so that any missile fired would potentially kill hundreds of innocent residents underneath????

life is certainly cheap in the east end. No way they'd put them overlooking mayfair...even if it is a box ticking exercise
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    ... let a freaking hijacked plane within a mile of the olympic park...

Are you Peter Griffin?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    Oh God

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Oh God

r7xxn62gox.jpg
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    It is like real life Call of Duty. Someone just got a Kill Streak and has planted one.

How will they secure these sites to stop Dave and his mate Barry from Floor 10 stealing them and flogging them out the boot of their Sierra down the local boozer?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    twist83 wrote:
    It is like real life Call of Duty. Someone just got a Kill Streak and has planted one.

How will they secure these sites to stop Dave and his mate Barry from Floor 10 stealing them and flogging them out the boot of their Sierra down the local boozer?

With soldiers and paramiltary police on the streets of London, obviously.

YAY, OLYMPICS! :roll:

Isn't there a warship on the Thames to prevent the IRA's armada making it to central London?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    bails87 wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

With soldiers and paramiltary police on the streets of London, obviously.

YAY, OLYMPICS! :roll:

Isn't there a warship on the Thames to prevent the IRA's armada making it to central London?

al qaeda have snorkels!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    It strikes me that the tower blocks will be the place in London least likely to get hit by a stray missile.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    twist83 wrote:

I was more reminded of Block Wars in Judge Dredd.

Suspect it'll put the kibosh on nefarious doings in and around said hi-rise for a few weeks and there's the rub.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Theres only one reason - someone sniffed a payday.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • "The MoD had seven years to prepare for this but we had just a couple of months. The whole process has been undemocratic. This should have been discussed in Parliament," he said.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/9 ... challenge/

I agree it's posturing, but I wouldn't want one on my roof!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    bails87 wrote:
    HMS Belfast, they just have to remember to adjust the aim of the guns, otherwise they'll wipe out the Scratchwood Services.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    DrLex wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

I was more reminded of Block Wars in Judge Dredd.

Suspect it'll put the kibosh on nefarious doings in and around said hi-rise for a few weeks and there's the rub.
    Simple. You barricade the lift and everyone/thing goes in by chopper. Its been done before. Do you really think they would take the lift? Let alone go up the stairs? The residents won't hear the clump of boots on the stairs all night, but the helicopters coming and going would pee you off.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    [pedant] It's fell swoop, not foul swoop. And, surely the M in SAM stands for missiles, or are they really called Surface to Air Missiles Missiles?
    [/pedant]
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    rjsterry wrote:
    [pedant] It's fell swoop, not foul swoop. And, surely the M in SAM stands for missiles, or are they really called Surface to Air Missiles Missiles?
    [/pedant]

Do you growl at people when they say PIN number?

I bet you do. Every time at the check out.... "Could you enter your PIN number sir?"

ARRRGGHHH!!!!

:lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rjsterry wrote:
    [/pedant]

I think a supposedly thick, disabled bloke might want to come across to be stupider than he is. :wink:

And don't call me Surely.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Said it before - that we know about them and where they are suggests they're not really there for anything other than being a big sign saying "we are taking the threat seriously wannabe bad people".
    Agreed.

I firmly believe that if there is any terrorist activity at the Games it will be a "lone wolf" lunatic. What are they going to do, launch a missile at a block with a beard?

Must have a shave.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    rjsterry wrote:
    [/pedant]

I bet you do. Every time at the check out.... "Could you enter your PIN number sir?"

ARRRGGHHH!!!!

I enter my PIN number into an ATM machine, typically at around 8:30am in the morning on the way to my job of work.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    rjsterry wrote:
    [/pedant]

ARRRGGHHH!!!!

Not out loud. ;)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    The Dutch have turned PIN into a verb.

"Wil je pinnen?"

:|
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i cant see what the big dillyo is...why would you not want them on the roof?

what's the reasons for not wanting them?

i cant see some weirdy beardy wanting to blow them missile site up, as im guessing it will be pretty heavily guarded?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Kieran_Burns
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i cant see what the big dillyo is...why would you not want them on the roof?

what's the reasons for not wanting them?

i cant see some weirdy beardy wanting to blow them missile site up, as im guessing it will be pretty heavily guarded?

They'll certainly be safe from any disabled terrorists....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Dan_Giant
    Dan_Giant Posts: 72
    The SAM sites will be a last resort. More of a detterant.

If a plane is highjacked then typhoons will be scrambled to take it down.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Dan_Giant wrote:
    The SAM sites will be a last resort. More of a detterant.

If a plane is highjacked then typhoons will be scrambled to take it down.

will they use storm from the x-men (steady DDD) summon the typhoon?

Xmen_storm2_800.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    There's so much guff flying around about these missiles. Lady on the beeb the other day described them as being 'kinetic' missiles, which they're not. DDD will be excited to learn that they're 'Starstreak' missiles, and I'm sure that there's a superhero somewhere in the canon with the same name.

In any event, they'll not be fired - they only have a range of 7k so anything they bring down is likely to crash into a heavily populated area... I agree with RC, it's all about tokenism.\

It's all b0ll0cks anyway, there's about 0.1% chance of a terrorist attack. Didn't stop office management from emailing us all a 'bombthreat' FAQ this morning. What a chuffing waste of time & money.
  • rick_chasey
    I guess it's partly the price Britain pays for being a waring nation.

Having said that, I saw a good documentary about the killings in the Munich games in the Netherlands, and well, you can see why the olympics now needs so much security.

Real shame though. I particularly hate being treated like a suspect of something awful whenever I want to fly or watch a sporting event of international importance.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I particularly hate being treated like a suspect of something awful whenever I want to fly or watch a sporting event of international importance.

Didn't you change the colour of carrots? That is enough to be a suspect of heinous crimes in my book.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?