Newbie <£3.5K budget

124»

Comments

• hahaha..nice jersey...you're obviously a man of impeccable taste :lol:

Here's me;
    380197_483215981693600_1842865043_n.jpg

Aren't you a little skinny for a downhiller? ;)

You need more pies!
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    supersonic wrote:
    I think you need coaching ;-)

Please to analyze my errors?
  • Majski
    hahaha..nice jersey...you're obviously a man of impeccable taste :lol:

Here's me;
    380197_483215981693600_1842865043_n.jpg

Aren't you a little skinny for a downhiller? ;)

You need more pies!

I agree with this, you're letting the side down. You're supposed to be a fat b@stard like me - helps with the gravity!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Majski wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Lol, was a joke re the other thread on skills days. Looks fine to me!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    :lol: lifts are only open for about 12wks a season so the rest of time I seem to be riding up mountains. Back down to my fighting weight of 72kg since moving to the Alps...luckily the French aren't pig on pies or else it might be a different story :P
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Majski
    supersonic wrote:
    Majski wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Lol, was a joke re the other thread on skills days. Looks fine to me!

Ah right, I got that it was related to the other thread! I just thought you were going to point out something I'd done wrong. "point your heels down" or one of the other really useful tips you can get for £100 a day! ha ha
  • Majski
    Regarding the OP again. Ignore the whole 'what's the point you're a beginner' attitude. I'm a pretty average DH rider, my session 8 is much much more bike than I'll ever need at £3.4k rrp. If I had more money I'd definately have bought the 9.9 at £7k. Why? because ifs F-ing cool
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Majski wrote:
    Regarding the OP again. Ignore the whole 'what's the point you're a beginner' attitude. I'm a pretty average DH rider, my session 8 is much much more bike than I'll ever need at £3.4k rrp. If I had more money I'd definitely have bought the 9.9 at £7k. Why? because ifs F-ing cool

Exactly what I said yesterday!! Well I said I would've bought a new 88 instead of a used 8 but you get the drift. Just get the best damn bike you can afford and get out there and have fun.

mmmm...9.9
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    its not a question though of buying a bike when your supper skilled, it's buying a bike before you even know what you like..

To me it's like bike 200 ltr of strwaberry icecream when i've never tasted any icecream. I could hate and find i only like toffee.

For me a 120mm lightweight XC machine is my idea of torture, but back i n he day i wouldn't of known that, and i would have followed peoples advice here blindly and got something I really don't like in the long run. Spend as much as you like, once you know what you like. Because a 120mm xc machine though they can do Down Hill for instance there not hugely fun and I personally became very quickly started to be more DH orientated when I first started.
  • Majski
    I totally agree he should try stuff out and get an idea of what he likes. Or buy multiple bikes. I just wouldn't buy a 'cheap version' for the sake of it
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I agree with the multiple bikes thing to an extent. I have a 29er hardtail and a 160mm AM full sus and between them there's nothing in this country that I couldn't ride. But maintaining two bikes is chore and probably a bit daunting for a beginner.
    The OP mentioned fairly sedate riding so a 100-120mm full sus 29er (IMO) would be a good starting point. Plus the dude appears to be in a fortunate postition where if he gets the bug for a type of riding that isn't suited to the 120mm fs then I'd guess he could n+1 or sell the current bike and get something else without losing sleep over it.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Majski wrote:
    I just wouldn't buy a 'cheap version' for the sake of it

but no one advised that?

the advice was buy a cheap one to figure out what riding you like, then get a nice one.
  • supersonic
    I think the point is 3.5k is cheap to him! Not to 99% of us here, but to this guy it is, so I say go for it!
  • supersonic
    Because a 120mm xc machine though they can do Down Hill for instance there not hugely fun and I personally became very quickly started to be more DH orientated when I first started.

This is the thing, fun is a personal thing. I find a quick handling XC bike much more fun on my trails then anything bigger. I can also ride it for longer, and it neuters most slack AM bikes through the twisty stuff. And the light weight helps me move it about more easily.
  • Thewaylander
    supersonic wrote:
    Because a 120mm xc machine though they can do Down Hill for instance there not hugely fun and I personally became very quickly started to be more DH orientated when I first started.

This is the thing, fun is a personal thing. I find a quick handling XC bike much more fun on my trails then anything bigger. I can also ride it for longer, and it neuters most slack AM bikes through the twisty stuff. And the light weight helps me move it about more easily.

Thats my point exactly though sonic, no one is the same and untill you've ridden for abit you will have no idea... just thinking be good to know if the OP could afford in a year if he is bored of his current light weight machine to flea bay it and buy a different style of bike ( i mean lets be fair most peoples partners get annoyed with constant purchases lol)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If the OP is dropping £3k+ on a bike, he's going to be able to find somewhere willing to let him have a test ride.

If he tries out a few bikes for weekend long test rides he'll have a better idea of what he likes.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thewaylander
    Really though?

as a complete new comer, most people i know who have joined me for riding came in say i want to ride light trails blah blah, and in about 6 months were riding far more aggressively and booking uplifts.

As a complete begginer riding is going to change hugely over the next 6months to a year could be interesting though to get the feed back at any changes in what and how he rides over the next year :)