The Death of Cycling

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
edited July 2012 in Pro race
I have noticed that there are some people on this forum who claim that certain people and doping have ruined cycling. I couldn't agree more. Watching the racing thus far I was struck by the lack of crowds along the routes. Especially at the finishes, where they were only 15 or 20 deep for only 2 or 3 miles. They all appeared to have been forced(by the government) to watch this disgusting spectacle. No one was cheering at all and boredom was etched on their faces. It was also apparent that there were more people "on the podium" than there were watching. No one was taking pictures, no one was asking for autographs. All in all very sad to watch. The end is now.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Dennis, you are watching the tour of Qatar again.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Dennis, Americans and sarcasm go together like strawberries and mustard. You're just not very good at it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    And maybe had you cited an example or two.

Delete it and start again.
  • I think the reference is to the believability of the performance's, see Wiggins for and example so for some yes it has ruined the ability for people to watch the race and believe what there seeing which is sad. Though this isn't the death of the sport (which i actually can't recall anyone saying on this forum) will only happen when the interest goes.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dennis, Americans and sarcasm go together like strawberries and mustard. You're just not very good at it.

I don't know, the first half was quite funny, tailed off at the end though.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I agree with you dennis...but then it's Le Tour, it's always going to be big. The trouble will come with the smaller races first...

I don't think it's going to be a big problem anyway, Most of europe have been watching cycling throughout the doping heyday and still turn out - they just assume they all dope. It's only the US and the UK that get their knickers in a twist about it, and both of us a new boys!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    What are the ratings like on German TV ?
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    The Tour's probably the worst way to gauge the health of cycling, a bit like how you wouldn't judge the health of football based on the World Cup. Weren't numerous races falling victim to the recession a few years ago? I seem to remember that many were at least unsure if they'd be able to keep the races running.

All of that said, I have no idea what prompted this.
  • I get the irony, I'm just not sure why.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Love the Tour of Qatar comment! :D
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    johnfinch wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I don't know, the first half was quite funny, tailed off at the end though.

Here here! An excellent attempt by one of our American cousins!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I hadn't realized that they televised the Tour of North Korea. :? :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    RichN95 wrote:
    Well, maybe not, but there is only one way to get better. In any case I'm a true believer in "Sarcasm exists because it's illegal to beat the sh*t out of someone". :wink:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I thought it was funny anyway Dennis!
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    They need to do some weight training to liven it up. retreats to bunker. :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Amgen Tour of California - Yes spot the "Spectator" competition in that race....Yes this race that was trying to challenge the Giro....oh ma sides stop it :D
  • Yes this race that was trying to challenge the Giro

While being sponsored by a company whose major product is EPO. How appropriate!

Andy
  • DNQ
    DNQ Posts: 45
    I get the irony, EPO is however a legitimate product, but used illegitimately by some.