How much training for a fresher to do 100 miles in a weekend

cyclingfresher
cyclingfresher Posts: 5
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hello all,

Just bought new bikes on the weekend (a hybrid each for myself and my girlfriend) and am now planning a ride from Whitchurch (Hampshire) to the New Forest and back (probably just over 100 miles accounting for getting lost, etc). As we have done very little exercise in the past year, how would one prepare for such a ride? I.e. how much training would an average person need for this and any tips on how often we should ride and how far?

Neither of us are over weight or carrying any serious injuries, if that helps. Plus I don't think it will be mega hilly en route, which should help. We did our first ride on Sunday and that was just over 10 miles and we found that pretty easy (as I'm sure many of you would, too). We're planning to do the 'big' ride in just over 1.5 months time, which I assume should be plenty enough?

Cheers,

Neil.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How many times a week can you ride ?

100 miles is quite a way - 6 weeks is a bit short I think to be able to do it comfortably.

It will probably take 8 hours or more as well - so think about spending that amount of time in the saddle.

Anyone can do 10 miles on a bike, but 10 times that needs a bit more training I think.

What will you do when you get to the New Forest ? Start straight back or stop for lunch ? Don't forget you'll need to get the hang of eating and drinking on the bike too.

If you can get out for a few rides in the week and then think about doing a longer ride at the weekend - so try 20 next week, then 30, then 40 , then 60, then 70 and then think about if you're ready to do 1.5 times that distance the week after. You might be up to it or you might not.

I'm thinking smaller distances would be a bit more realistic and maybe put the 100 attempt back a month or two. Make it more enjoyable ?
  • I don't fully understand your question - are you planning to ride 100 miles in a day or 50 miles a day for two miles in a row?

2x50 is a much easier thing than 1x100. I've only ridden 100 miles once and I was pretty slow towards the end but 50 miles is fairly normal. I think the main thing is to remember to keep eating - no need to eat fancy energy bars etc, when I'm touring it's just more 'normal' food than usual.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I did that ride a while back - Ringwood to Newbury at 40 miles - so you get to miss out on the climb over Watership Down. Other than that I don't recall it being bumpy.

Get used to spending time on your bike - make sure you're wearing the right clothes to remain free of rubbing sores. Build your distance up until _you_ are confident. I do know folks who have done that sort of distance without training and it's mostly put them off cycling.

Good luck.
  • Thank you for the comments and sorry I wasn't clear with my question. We are planning to cycle to the New Forest on the Saturday, camp for the night, then cycle home on the Sunday. At first I thought it was definitely doable, but I tend to work late, thus restricting evening riding to just one or two a week, then I have my (11-year-old) son every other weekend, thus restricting my weekend riding.

If I could manage 3 rides during the week of around 1 hour per ride, then 1 ride each weekend of around 30 miles....is 6 weeks of this enough to accomplish (relatively comfortably) my 'big' ride?

Thanks again.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Aah 2 lots of 50 miles isnt half as bad. Will you be taking luggage though ? Cos that makes it harder again.
  • That's right. I'll have the tent on my bike (4.8kg) and the missus will have the rest.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    edited July 2012
    It sounds like a nice ride, 25 miles on the morning, spot of lunch, 25 miles in the afternoon and camp out. Similarly on the way back. The biggest problem will be the UK weather :roll:
  • 50 miles with camping gear is a reasonable distance but perfectly doable. Practise riding with your luggage, then you'll get used to climbing with the extra weight. Also then you can work out the best way to load it on rather than spending 45 mins on the first morning playing with bungees, straps and panniers.
    I'm no expert on training but your idea of 3 rides in the week and a longer ride at the weekend sounds OK, maybe swap one of the rides in the week for a longer ride at the weekend sometimes?
  • Thanks again for the comments. Looks like we're going to give it a go and hope we make it (especially back!).

Cheers.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    If you are both reasonably fit and the weather is reasonable, you should cope without too many problems. Expect to average about 10mph on a hybrid. The more training you can fit in, the more confident you will be and the better adapted your body will be to the effort. You will also have more opportunity to ride in different conditions and decide what clothing to wear and what items to take with you. I presume it's not competitive so you can take as many breaks as you need x