Coaster brakes

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Is anyone using an internal hub gear with coaster brake; e.g. Sturmey Archer S2c?

Anyone with any feedback on here?

Comments

• gtvlusso
    More importantly; Am I a bit poncey for wanting to move from fixed wheel to freewheel?
  • choldy
    choldy Posts: 28
    I'm using an S2 on my bike having just moved over from fixed/single speed flip flop. As I commute everyday on it I really like the twin speed set up as I just found it too difficult to get the perfect fixed gear. I avoided the coaster brake option though as it was going to be too complex for my simple mind to work out gear changing and braking in the same motion, I've taken a while to get the knack of consistently selecting gears with my backpedal!
  • gtvlusso
    Thanks for the feedback; is there much weight difference with the duomatic? I am fairly happy with approximately 80" gear, however, I was not too sure about the whole change to freewheel and coaster brake.

Assume it fits in a 120mm rear dropout?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Coaster brakes are a dangerous nightmare. in what sane circumstances would you choose to lock up your back brake?

Had the misfortune of borrowing a hotel bike in the Netyherlands with one.

As an emergency brake on a touring tandem for alpine descents they have a use, albeit now probably superceded by disc brakes. On anything else they aren't worth the extra weight.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Is anyone using an internal hub gear with coaster brake; e.g. Sturmey Archer S2c?

Anyone with any feedback on here?

I’m using the F&S duomatic (two speed kickback with coaster brake) and have built a wheel for my wife with the Sturmey S2C.
    My bike: https://picasaweb.google.com/1074463160 ... onTwoSpeed
    Wife’s S2C: https://picasaweb.google.com/1074463160 ... /HelgaSMk3

My duomatic is great and I love it. I’ve got is set up at 74 and 54 inches. It takes a little while to get used to the coasting but once you are there it’s a doddle. The only ‘bad’ point (more of an annoyance) is that you cannot wind the cranks backwards while stationary, but it’s not a huge issue.

There was one major problem with my wife’s S2C which were a deal breaker. Essentially it would only shift to the other gear about 60% of the time (shift by pedalling backwards slightly). Big issue if you want to flick it into the top gear and take off, or worse, when you get to hill and want to ease it up, you can’t!! I adjusted chain tension and gave it a good run in but if anything things got worse! After contacting Sturmey’s European office in Holland I got no reply do binned the hub and built her a different wheel.
    Wife’s bike redone: https://picasaweb.google.com/1074463160 ... Mk3TakeTwo

Note worthy differences between the two:
    i. Duomatic is about 1kg in weight. The S2C is about 1.5kg

ii. The braking on the duomatic is much ‘weaker’ than the S2C. The S2C have very strong braking and it was easy to lock up. The duomatic is actually quite difficult to lock. It’s not an issue that it’s not as strong as you get used to it’s capabilities (and just use the front brake!!).

iii. Duomatic will shift 100% of the time you ask it to, it works perfectly. The S2C hardly shifts!
    (note I am part of a Moulton bike forum and although it does not have many members there are two other members who had a similar problem with this hub).

I sourced the duomatic from German ebay. It’s cheaper than a new S2C though I’m a bit weary of buying things like internal hubs second hand. I was lucky and got a goodun.

Also, it’s not poncey moving form fixed to free (though I am a ponce!!). Your bike will looked fixed (no brake or gear cables) and you will wow people explaining how you have two gears and a rear brake but no cables!! Well either wow them or like me come out sounding like an anorak!!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    gtvlusso wrote:
    More importantly; Am I a bit poncey for wanting to move from fixed wheel to freewheel?

You've changed Man, you used to be cool.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    gtvlusso wrote:

You've changed Man, you used to be cool.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.