Cofidis Hotel Raid

2»

Comments

• Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    prawny wrote:
    Noclue wrote:
    I was thinking of picking Remi for PTP pick for the next stage! Seeing as so many people are convinced Sky are doping then i'm surprised they didn't get an early morning knock as well. :roll:

Dave B Tipped off the Rozzers to divert attention, suck on them marginal gains :lol:

LOL :D
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Having seen L'equipe's comments pages explode with anti-Wiggo comments over the last couple of days, I have only 1 thing to say:

Mort de rire!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    This is where twitter is hilarious. 500 people tweeting the same thing. Fail.

Its ok, they call it 'trending' therefore its totally legit.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Didn't Gilbert hate Rémi di Gregorio when they were at FDJ?
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    MrTapir wrote:
    This is where twitter is hilarious. 500 people tweeting the same thing. Fail.
    Its ok, they call it 'trending' therefore its totally legit.
    heh heh my aged aunt might have asked why the editor of Twitter repeated the same thing 500 times ;)
    facepalm.jpg
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    More info on the background to the suspicion here

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-rout ... lit/297607

Seems like the French police were investigating Astana.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    More info on the background to the suspicion here

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-rout ... lit/297607

Seems like the French police were investigating Astana.

Colour me amazed.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Wait, I thought the French teams are the bastion of clean cycling and French riders doing well at the Tour was a sign of a cleaner peloton. Next thing you know people will be blindly lashing out at others suspicions about Sky riders.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Wait, I thought the French teams are the bastion of clean cycling and French riders doing well at the Tour was a sign of a cleaner peloton. Next thing you know people will be blindly lashing out at others suspicions about Sky riders.

Well it seems the investigation was into Astana, not Cofidis.

And plenty of people were suspicious of Europcar last year.

And I have no idea what the sentence about Sky means.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Not recently it has nt been - particularly in the Junior Ranks, Shame :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If someone had been selling performance enhancing drugs to Cofidis, the police would be arresting conmen, not riders.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Rundfahrt
    RichN95 wrote:
    If someone had been selling performance enhancing drugs to Cofidis, the police would be arresting conmen, not riders.

Now that was a good one.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Anyone see Thomas Dekker's tweet?
    Jammer hoor die rustdagen.. ;)

"Shame though, these rest days.... ;)"
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    6 years ago Di Greggorio was touted as the next French TDF winner, I guess years of very average results back you into a corner.

Shame.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    pat1cp wrote:
    6 years ago Di Greggorio was touted as the next French TDF winner, I guess years of very average results back you into a corner.

Shame.

Every year some rider is touted as the next French TdF rider - must have just been his turn on the list! No doubt it will be Pinot this year (Rolland was last year's pick).
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Pross wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:

Shame.

Every year some rider is touted as the next French TdF rider - must have just been his turn on the list! No doubt it will be Pinot this year (Rolland was last year's pick).

I appreciate that, many false dawns and the pressure created by the French media must be quite a cross to bare.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Semi regular injections of glucose and ozone by a naturopath, according to cyclingnews... barely seems worth nicking him for, seems an almost comic attempt at marginal gains.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Glucose? Couldn't he just eat a Twix?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Rundfahrt
    Semi regular injections of glucose and ozone by a naturopath, according to cyclingnews... barely seems worth nicking him for, seems an almost comic attempt at marginal gains.

If that's all it was he should sue the police(if you can do that in France).
  • disgruntledgoat
    Prosecutor wants him charged as both are verboten...

@gietvangent
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    UCI's no needle policy:
    http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDe ... Id=MTI2Mjc

Specifically includes sugars and antioxidants
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • disgruntledgoat
    JonGinge wrote:
    UCI's no needle policy:

Agreed, it's against the rules... But is it really worth arresting him, transporting him half way across France and searching the team hotel? Why not just pass your findings onto the French Federation and let them deal with it?

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Rundfahrt wrote:

If that's all it was he should sue the police(if you can do that in France).

No you cant (WTF?)

And it's still illegal to inject yourslef with something for performance gain in cycling, and also in France
    Di Gregorio
    For all the headlines and drama of police swooping on the race, the tale of Remy Di Gregorio looks rather petty and embarrassing after it was revealed he was linked to a 74 year-old “natureopath”, a sort of quack offering “natural” ways to boost his performance. He was arrested by French police on Tuesday and will now be charged… for injecting glucose. Yes, that’s right, doping with nothing more than sugar.

Jokes aside, carrying the kit to handle the injection of glucose is banned and a criminal matter in France, this is not just breaking the “no needle” anti-doping policy, as RTL reports. So it’s not the product but the method that is the crime, the specific charge translates as “possession of a forbidden medical means without clinical justification” and it seems Di Gregorio will get a fine and a courtroom appearance. It’s a sorry story and a pity that the rider felt he had to turn to someone like this. Worse, it means the Tour de France and pro cycling is once again linked to doping, all because of this. I don’t care too much for other sports but there does seem to be a bizarre asymmetry where cyclists are rousted for injecting glucose and make the evening TV bulletins for dopage whilst nobody even asks questions about other sports. (INRG, 2012)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    I'd momentarily forgotten France's post Festina laws on doping!

This has to be of less performance boost than, for example, Chelsea's platelet scam a few years ago. It may be the most tragi-comic doping scandal of all time.

@gietvangent
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JonGinge wrote:
    UCI's no needle policy:

Agreed, it's against the rules... But is it really worth arresting him, transporting him half way across France and searching the team hotel? Why not just pass your findings onto the French Federation and let them deal with it?
    It seems excessive, yes. Would have been better all round to quietly stopped him starting the tour. The investigation has been going on for a while after all.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    After the sinister photo they used of Di Gregario on telly depicting him like a street-hopper from The Wire, it might turn out it was only Naturopathy!
    I hope they redress the balance and show him smiling... Or blowing bubbles in a field of barley*

"But Marge, he must be guilty... Listen to the music!"

*not 'blowing Bubbles', though: that would be unseemly.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    So, he has been cleared by the courts. Only vit C and paracetamol.

Totally ridiculous that they make him look so guilty and take him out of competition.

Go Remy. Come back fighting.

remy_di_gregorio_juillet_2012.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Lot of kickback along the lines as ' I hope they publicise his innocence as much as the accusation'
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    So, he has been cleared by the courts. Only vit C and paracetamol.

Totally ridiculous that they make him look so guilty and take him out of competition.
    I have always thought that is the reason that because the French courts were so slow that Virenque didn't fess up till he was under oath.
    The Swiss courts had their riders done and dusted in half the time.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972