Winstanley Bikes poor service

betwo bikers
betwo bikers Posts: 2
edited January 2013 in MTB beginners
The best advice I can give you all is to NEVER buy anything from this company. They entice you with prices that a great but the customer service is appalling, they wont speak to you on the phone when you have a problem, fob you off with saying that email os the only way to commincate. In this day and age if a company has no direct commincation with its customer esp when your spending in our case a £1000 on a bike is disgusting.

the bike arrived with no grease in the headset, sent photos asked if we could get it repaired locally they agreed however changed their minds adn made us ship it back, minus any box. subsequently the bike got damaged in transit. after all that they refused to replace the headset and regreased the pitted one. They lost a very good customer all for the cost price of a heat set, which is about £15. We were still in dispute with the customers of course by email and they just sent the bike back with no explaination . Appalling, we are taking it further.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So why didn't you just grease it. Would have been much simpler.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But always nice to see someone join a forum to have a whinge.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    BE WARNED!
  • cooldad
    I blame Wiggle.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    So did they sort out the damage received in transit?

If you have a bike, and a greased headset, I don't see quite what the problem is? Perhaps if you were unhappy about the service received, but where can you take that further?

Also is this info only relevant for beginners?! Why not post it somewhere else?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • cooldad
    I would post in the commuter forums - lots of whiney stuff there.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I'm yet to have an issue with Winstanleys.

Sounds like Wiggle's handywork to me...
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    We were still in dispute with the customers of course by email and they just sent the bike back with no explaination

what? you're the customer in this no? so you were in dispute with yourself... which from the nature of your post is entirely possible.

The best advice I can give you all is to stop reading. Now.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    The best advice I can give you all is to NEVER buy anything from this company. They entice you with prices that a great but the customer service is appalling, they wont speak to you on the phone when you have a problem, fob you off with saying that email os the only way to commincate. In this day and age if a company has no direct commincation with its customer esp when your spending in our case a £1000 on a bike is disgusting.

the bike arrived with no grease in the headset, sent photos asked if we could get it repaired locally they agreed however changed their minds adn made us ship it back, minus any box. subsequently the bike got damaged in transit. after all that they refused to replace the headset and regreased the pitted one. They lost a very good customer all for the cost price of a heat set, which is about £15. We were still in dispute with the customers of course by email and they just sent the bike back with no explaination . Appalling, we are taking it further.

Would you like some cheese with your whine sir?
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    And welcome to the forum :lol:
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Just to balance this out a bit. I recently made 2 purchases from Winstanleys.

The first was a THE industries Tiki Carbon helmet. It was something silly like 75% off so I didn't hold much hope of it being in stock.
    It arrived within 2 working days, complete with bag and spare visor.

The second was a BMX, again, heavily discounted (by about 40%). and again, ordered, paid for, and delivered within a couple of business days (actually, it was sent parcelforce 24hr).

The BMX has a friday afternoon weld on one of the tubes, nothing structural, just looks gash. I mentioned it to them, and they offered to replace or refund, no fuss whatsoever (I didn't take them up on it as it's not worth the hassle).
  • cooldad
    I've used them as well or I wouldn't have been so facetious. But I think our hit and run visitor has departed.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ive had fantastic dealings with them in the past, always been great. If anything my last purchase had a little too much grease on it, perhaps some of it was meant for betwo bikers headset?
  • I've got to say the two purchases I've made from the company have been brilliant - big discounts (50%+ on RRP) good customer service and fast delivery. :D
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    They lost a very good customer
    Oh dear. Who was that then?
  • cooldad
    Wasting your breath, he hit a few months ago and ran.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I don't care. Just wanted to stick my oar in. ALWAYS kick a man when he's down. You don't often get the chance.
  • cooldad
    Fair enough.
    Just don't tell SS or he'll be warning against naughty behaviour.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    If you call a fallen tree if a forest a spazwangle, but there's no actual tree, have you really insulted it?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Golden rule of Winstanleys is never buy anything that's going to be in stock in a couple of days, you may never receive it.

Couple of years back, they did a big discount on Hope Hoops with Stans rims, "Yes they'll be in stock in a week". A week later, "They'll be in stock in a week". And so on. In the meantime, still taking orders. Eventually someone contacted Hope- "No, we're out of stock and we're having trouble getting the rims so it could be a long time". Same person contacted Winstanleys "We've spoken with Hope, definately next week!"

Still at least they're not Mark Anthony Bikes.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bike probably had sealed catridge bearings........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Well just to say I am not a whiner and buy from a mix of Wiggle, Chain Reaction, LBS (usually Royles in Wilmslow); anyhow back to story!

I have a few issues with Winstanleys. I ordered a Chris King bottom bracket, not as it was cheaper, they had the colour 'in stock'. You can imagine my surprise to get an email stating that it would be with me in 4 weeks as they had placed the order with their 'suppliers' - I may have missed something but online suppliers usually hold stock. In any case I did not immediately need the BB which duly arrived 5 weeks after my order. I placed another order with Winstanleys on 20th December for a pair of Sidi Hydro winter shoes which were again 'in stock'.

Imagine my disappointment when today (2nd January) I got an email advising they had ordered from their suppliers and this should arrive in early MARCH!! In other words when I won't really need them.. Why advertise something you do not have in stock or readily available. I have never had this from any of my other suppliers listed above - easy to knock Wiggle but they are very good at the 'on-line' experience.
  • cooldad
    You joined to resurrect and old thread and whine?
    So get a refund and buy somewhere else.

I blame Wiggle.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Not joined to whine, just share an experience with the community - maybe I misunderstood the site. It seems the i blame Wiggle strapline gives you away
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which proves you don't understand the strapline.......

Not good service, but as soon as they breach the implied conditions of the contract (in stock not being in stock) then ask for the money back.

A lot of stuff from smaller online retailers is satisfied from central handling depot's (sometimes the importers) as such Winstanley may well believe something to be in stock which then turns out not to be.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad wrote:
    I've used them as well or I wouldn't have been so facetious. But I think our hit and run visitor has departed.

Sounds like your handywork to me CD, you didn't court the individual with flowers or chocolates or even pull out a chair for him/her.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

Sounds like your handywork to me CD, you didn't court the individual with flowers or chocolates or even pull out a chair for him/her.
    It should be considered an honour just to be addressed by me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

lol

Sorry to p*** on your parade CD, but you're not the queen.... no matter how much you dress like her in your spare time.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

lol

Sorry to p*** on your parade CD, but you're not the queen.... no matter how much you dress like her in your spare time.

The queen calls me Mr Cooldad sir.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    The queen calls me Mr Cooldad sir.

From this day forth you shall be addressed as "Your royal pieness"