Trek, Canyon, Specialized and Giant - Cast your vote!

crepeman
crepeman Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I'm deciding on these bikes as a replacement for my hardtail Trek 8000 from 2003. I want to be able to travel all day and jump a few feet and so ruled out XC in favour of AM. Having ridden Treks for two decades I am biased towards owning them as my hardtails have been bomb-proof. Canyon recently threw out the possibility of getting an awesome spec bike for a lot less e.g. Talas vs Float, XT vs SLX so that was thrown into the mix. Then there's the dilemma of waiting to see what bikes come out in 2013.

If you have a second please cast your vote.

Thanks

Comments

• RhinoDan
    RhinoDan Posts: 2
    Reckon the Enduro Evo is proper gnarly. But from what you say the Canyon would get my vote.
  • JDRfive
    JDRfive Posts: 72
    To be honest I'd rather have a float than talas, extra weight, fiddling etc. Also rather have slx because it's more bombproof and shifting quality is largerly similar in my opinion. Just sacrificing weight amongst other things. I'd go for a remedy, either or.

When you're spending this amount of money on a bike like this it will come largely down to personal preference. They are all supremely capable bikes, so just go for your favourite!
    Life's too short to be boring.

09 Kona Dawgma
    08 Orange 224
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Where is the option for a new 8000 or even 8500 :mrgreen:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Wait for the 2013 models to come out and get a discounted 2012 Giant Reign 1.
    Talas forks aren't particularly nice. I would rather have Floats, Vans or Revs.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Wait for the 2013 models to come out and get a discounted 2012 Giant Reign 1

What he said there^, or indeed a discounted 2012 anything. Some of the discounts will be such that you can consider the next model up in the range
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    crepeman wrote:
    Then there's the dilemma of waiting to see what bikes come out in 2013.
    whatever comes out in 2013, the one thing you can guarantee is you will get less for your money
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • crepeman
    crepeman Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the replies and the votes.

Evo - got my hopes up earlier this week when I came across an Evo Expert 2011 with 33% off online - great looking frame - but not in my size :( and no finance. I think the Evo is probably weighted more for downhill then XC so I don't think my style would be right for it, however it is a great bike.
    Float vs Talas - Evans cycle guy pushed the Talas as a great fork but sounds like a Float will do fine.
    8000 and 8500 - I tested them both and they are very very nice bikes, especially the 8500 - but I started thinking that for a similar cost why not look at fs. Then the whole 0% finance thing came along and here we are.

I know Trek has it's TrekWorld in August and Interbike is, I think, in September so any idea when the new models arrive and when the old ones will go on sale? Some posts online say Mid Sept to Oct for new bikes so sales are Mid August onwards, others say new bikes arrive from October onwards.
  • Having just been in the market for an AM bike and tried those exact bikes listed -

Dont even consider the Remedy 7 or Reign 2. They are a disappointment due to spec, which is 50% of the ride performance and weight.

The Specialized i personally hated. Big, heavy, slow handling and wollowy suspension.
    My opinion only.

Test ride the remaining three and make your choice, i did.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • about 10 months ago i bought a 2011 remedy 8 for £1950, against an rrp of £2500. having started on a second hand trek hardtail, then a new last years model 2007 ex7. i'm not a trek fanboy by any stretch but they've all been good bikes and just happens to be that they have been treks that have caught my eye when i was buying.

whilst i'd recommend the remedy i've got, if i looking now i'd be looking closely at canyon, but i'd probably want to find someone to let me have a go
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    None of the above.
    Specialized Stumpjumper
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've just essentially had this debate; my AM 7.0 is due to arrive tomorrow.