Argeles Gazost -Tourmalet

T.C.
T.C. Posts: 495
I'm staying in argles next Sunday for 3 nights - on the Tue i intend to climb the Tourmalet -my friend just wants to climb the Tourmalet and back down- is there a loop you can do that you haven't got to descend the tourmalet and come back the same way- i've got a michelin map - i see you can go to Bagneres and Lourdes am i right and how long is it in miles? cheers T.C.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    That's the only ring you can do... maybe you can divert on the D26 and do the col de Lingous from Pouzac to avoid the traffic around Lourdes. It's not a difficult climb.
    Alternatively, if you do have legs, you can go down with him and then bag Sulour/Aubisque on the same day... the stretch between the Sulour and the Col d'Aubisque is one of the most beautiful roads you can cycle on.
    From there you will have to come down the same way, I fear.
    left the forum March 2023
  • T.C.
    ah yes just looked at it on the map looks ok - cheers
  • T.C.
    Ugo -correct with the Aubisque and solour road stunning -did Lus Ardiden Mon Tourmalet Tue and the others Wed - i had great weather -such a great country to cycle - loved it.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    You can go down the La Mongie side and back to Bagneres-de-Bigorre, and then to Lourdes. From Lourdes there is a paved cycle way (old railway) back up to Argeles.