First time bike

casualcyclist
casualcyclist Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for a first road bike having had mountain bikes my whole life.
I've read the forums and know that the Triban 3 from Decathlon is meant to be very good, and lots of people have said to look at used bikes. I have seen a peugeot bike which looks interesting, but being used to mountain bikes and 21 gears, 12 doesn't seem like many on an old, steel framed bike.
One other bike I've seen is the Muddyfox Pace, which I was drawn to purely because of price being £160 down from £350.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. My budget, although I realise bikes at this price are not really worth going for, is a maximum £300 ideally more toward £250.
Cheers

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    At that price - second hand is far better.
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I've heard the Triban's are good as a base spec road bike.

I wouldn't worry about 12 gears though, I have an old 12 speed Raleigh (although mine is alu framed) and its fine. Have you tried looking on ebay and gumtree?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    daveski12 wrote:
    I've heard the Triban's are good as a base spec road bike.

I wouldn't worry about 12 gears though, I have an old 12 speed Raleigh (although mine is alu framed) and its fine. Have you tried looking on ebay and gumtree?

+1 I had an old 80s bike which I'm updating, bought some second hand wheels with a 9-speed shimano block and then took the cheap(er) route of adding some 9-speed DA down tube shifters...which I really must get round to fitting :roll: so that I can ride the bl00dy thing (I have 2 other bikes!)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    Hi
    I love my Triban 3. Punches well above it's weight.

Try one if you can
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • I have had a look on ebay and there are some bikes at really good prices, largely built in the '80s. I'm looking at a peugeot, a carlton and an emelle, all at a very good price. is that a bit far to go back or will it be ok.I should probably say that my maximum ride is going to be about 60 miles at any given time (ive done a couple of London to Brightons and similar rides) so nothing too daunting. thanks for the replies