SPOTY

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
You can't start these threads too soon, I say.

Well, you can start them before the year in question has started, which *is* too soon, but we'll leave that.

Although Henman won it for being the architypal courageous loser, Murray's adoption by the GBP won't last until Xmas. So he is off the list.

Hamilton and Button will be lucky to win a race each by the end of the season, so they are out. Jockeys and snooker players should be banned, but they seem a bit shit this year, so we can scratch them. The football team performed as normal (shit), so their player are also out, and the rugby team has had no major commitments, so their players are out.

Potentially, therefore, it is Bradley vs the Olympians (yes, I'm assuming Bradley doesn't break another bone bone due to him having no flesh on his body, but if he does it is Froome v the Olympians).

So ... bearing in mind we are all notionally cyclists here with an inherent bias, assuming Jessica Ennis wins, Rebecca Adlington retains, Hoy retains, Pendleton retains, Cavemdish delivers, and one of the Brownlees does what they do so often elsewhere, who do you vote for?

I suppose Bradley in yellow in Paris and then taking gold in the Oly TT would seal it, but I don't think it will happend that way, so humour me and agree.

Other nominations obv welcome.
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Wouldn't rule out a golfer. If Luke Donald or Westwood can bag the Open then they're in with a shout.

Wiggins has problem (if he gives a monkeys about SPOTY).

Cavendish will be the main man for the Olympics, he'll be the first British Gold medal winner and will set up the rest of the Olympics.

Also Wiggins will be doing nothing from Saturday week to next spring. Don't see him realistically taking TT gold.....though to be fair I didn't see him winning today.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Fecking golfers. I'd forgotten about them. Probably because they play a game and not a sport.

I think if Jess Ennis wins she will be be a formidable candidate. She is a pre-Games poster girl; she has that girl-next-door-made-good-by-hard-work quality; she is in a solo event with no team; her event is genuinely tough; and she doesn't swear her way through press conferences. And athletics golds are worth twice any other Olympic gold.

Tricky.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Greg66 wrote:
    Fecking golfers. I'd forgotten about them. Probably because they play a game and not a sport.

I think if Jess Ennis wins she will be be a formidable candidate. She is a pre-Games poster girl; she has that girl-next-door-made-good-by-hard-work quality; she is in a solo event with no team; her event is genuinely tough; and she doesn't swear her way through press conferences. And athletics golds are worth twice any other Olympic gold.

Tricky.

And she's fit (as in attractive).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    You can't rule Murray out yet as there is still the Olympics for him and the fact that his best chance of winning a Major is at the US Open. That said, I don't think he will win a major.
    That brings us back to cyclists and Olympians.
    I doubt cycling will be honoured 2 years on the trot, however deserved, so at a guess, I will say an Olympian.
    Radcliffe just to prove me wrong? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Tricky.

And she's fit (as in attractive).
    And moreover, Wiggins is not.
    He's also a bit of a risk for live TV these days. ***? w****!$?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    daviesee wrote:
    Radcliffe just to prove me wrong? :wink:
    No, but she might get a pity award (lifetime achievement, sponsored by shewee)
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Greg66 wrote:
    You can't start these threads too soon, I say.

Well, you can start them before the year in question has started, which *is* too soon, but we'll leave that.

Although Henman won it for being the architypal courageous loser, Murray's adoption by the GBP won't last until Xmas. So he is off the list.

Hamilton and Button will be lucky to win a race each by the end of the season, so they are out. Jockeys and snooker players should be banned, but they seem a bit shoot this year, so we can scratch them. The football team performed as normal (shoot), so their player are also out, and the rugby team has had no major commitments, so their players are out.

Potentially, therefore, it is Bradley vs the Olympians (yes, I'm assuming Bradley doesn't break another bone bone due to him having no flesh on his body, but if he does it is Froome v the Olympians).

So ... bearing in mind we are all notionally cyclists here with an inherent bias, assuming Jessica Ennis wins, Rebecca Adlington retains, Hoy retains, Pendleton retains, Cavemdish delivers, and one of the Brownlees does what they do so often elsewhere, who do you vote for?

I suppose Bradley in yellow in Paris and then taking gold in the Oly TT would seal it, but I don't think it will happend that way, so humour me and agree.

Other nominations obv welcome.

Er... they've both already won a race this season (Canada and Australia)!

And never underestimate the soppy sentiment of the GBP. Murray coming a plucky second at Wimbledon almost suits British tastes better than winning, and (as mentioned above) he could do well at the US Open.

Barring an absolutely stellar performance at the Olympics, I can't see it being won by a cyclist again. Ennis is probably the safest bet for the win.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    What if brad wins the TT gold at the olympics?

It will probably be Beckham...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    To be honest if Brad wins the GC and the Olympic Time Trial then all the other candidates should beat an honourable retreat and tell the general public to vote Wiggo. I'm not even a procycling nutter but the whole idea of a Brit winnning the GC is just mind boggling to me. Realistically though, given the Olympics, its bound to be an Olympian so Brad needs the TT too. Murray winning Wimbledon would have been the only serious contender on merit.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Chris Froome....?
    FCN 3 / 4
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Does it matter who the public vote as the winner?

Come December the award will be collected by John Terry - irrespective of who wins
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • EKE_38BPM
    Wiggo won it. Sweet.

• I suppose Bradley in yellow in Paris and then taking gold in the Oly TT would seal it

I'll book that as a win.

Yeah, that was quite smart too.

(In the 66 household, we voted like fcuk for Jess, because we wuz there on super Saturday with a view of her coming off the final bend, and we'll never forget that sight (or Mo, for that matter).

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • In a way it's sad that there could be only one winner. Aside from the miserable Scottish tennis bloke and the golfist they were all fantastic. OK, Hoy has won it before so didn't need it. But still, the Tour de f*cking France.
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited December 2012
    I'm really glad that Wiggo won, not only because of his fantastic sporting performances, but because he is also undeniably a 'personality'.

A bit of a shame that Mo didn't even make the top 3 though. To win 2 Olympic golds in an event such as running where there is true world wide competition (there are few barriers for anyone to just get out there and run) is pretty amazing. Don't you think that the top three this year represented more exclusive sports where perhaps the depth of competition is not so great?

African athletes have the physiology to be great runners. Given the opportunity and support I bet that would translate into cycling too.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Must admit that I hate the whole thing.....

Glad Bradley Wiggins won - desereved and has a personality.

However, I would have liked it to go to Kat Grainger - There is someone who has fought very hard for a medal and competed consistently at the highest level for her country.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    I'm really glad that Wiggo won, not only because of his fantastic sporting performances, but because is also undeniably a 'personality'.

A bit of a shame that Mo didn't even make the top 3 though. To win 2 Olympic golds in an event such as running where there is true world wide competition (there are few barriers for anyone to just get out there and run) is pretty amazing. Don't you think that the top three this year represented more exclusive sports where perhaps the depth of competition is not so great?

Are you seriously suggesting there's a lack of depth in mens singles tennis?

I'm a little disappointed that Ben Ainslie didn't get a look in. One sailor gets one shot every four years in one discipline... Coming from behind to win a fourth Gold in a row (after a silver!) over a sixteen year olympic history, best olympic sailing results ever etc...

Maybe if he can bring home the Americas Cup(!) Oldest sporting trophy in the world, never been won by UK... Hard to see how anyone could top that!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    edited December 2012
    The argument about who should of won could have been made about al of the nominees.

Personally, I am glad that Wiggo won as it is another high profile shot in the arm for cycling. If i was giving out the award then it would have been tough but I probably would have gone for David Weir (although in my house our vote went to wiggins on the EPO's orders).

Jess Ennis' a*se looked amazing btw and it deserved an award all of oits own.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    BBC Sport wrote:
    Total votes: 1,626,718
    1. Bradley Wiggins 492,064 (30.25%)
    2. Jessica Ennis 372,765 (22.92%)
    3. Andy Murray 230,444 (14.17%)
    4. Mo Farah 131,327 (8.07%)
    5. David Weir 114,633 (7.05%)
    6. Ellie Simmonds 102,894 (6.33%)
    7. Sir Chris Hoy 42,961 (2.64%)
    8. Nicola Adams 35,560 (2.19%)
    9. Ben Ainslie 35,373 (2.17%)
    10. Rory McIlroy 29,729 (1.83%)
    11. Katherine Grainger 28,626 (1.76%)
    12. Sarah Storey 10,342 (0.64%)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    edited December 2012
    rubertoe wrote:
    The argument about who should have won could have been made about al of the nominees.

Personally, I am glad that Wiggo won as it is another high profile shot in the arm for cycling. If i was giving out the award then it would have been tough but I probably would have gone for David Weir (although in my house our vote went to wiggins on the EPO's orders).

Jess Ennis' a*se looked amazing btw and it deserved an award all of oits own.

pun intended?

Glad Wiggo won although most of them would have made worthy winners. Just looking on BBC have your say site and some of the comments are great about cycling being a team sport, drugs references etc. but the one that made me smile was from someone who obviously wanted Murray to win and said "I learned to ride a bike in 1/2 hr. Tennis I'm still average at after 40 years of trying."
    FCN = 4
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Not sure I agree with Team GB as Team of the Year.

Yeah they won a lot of medals but for me they are not a team.

That award should have went to the Ryder Cup team for the comeback on the last day to win.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    but the one that made me smile was from someone who obviously wanted Murray to win and said "I learned to ride a bike in 1/2 hr. Tennis I'm still average at after 40 years of trying."
    Hehe, because that's how they decide who wins the TdF, first person to show they can ride without stabilisers gets it!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

That award should have went to the Ryder Cup team for the comeback on the last day to win.

Good points both - Team GB isn't a team and golf is crap but that was impressive. And it was a non-Olympic thing which is nice for a change.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

Good points both - Team GB isn't a team and golf is crap but that was impressive. And it was a non-Olympic thing which is nice for a change.

Team Sky could easily have been in with a shout of the Team award as well. But it is changing people's thinking around to cycling actually being a team sport!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Rolf F wrote:

Team Sky could easily have been in with a shout of the Team award as well. But it is changing people's thinking around to cycling actually being a team sport!

Too few brits.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Rolf F wrote:

Too few brits.

Rubbish. The West Indies cricket team has won in the past as well as various Ryder Cup teams.

• That award should have went to the Ryder Cup team for the comeback on the last day to win.

Do you work at all the companies I've ever worked at?

They all seem to reward people for rescuing a fecked up situation rather than rewarding people who just quietly get on and succeed...

Why do the Ryder Cup team deserve an award? It was exciting viewing but so is a big warehouse fire.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Too few brits.

Rubbish. The West Indies cricket team has won in the past as well as various Ryder Cup teams.
    If they make up the rules as they go along, the BBC can do whatever they want...
    BBC wrote:
    For the avoidance of doubt, this criteria excludes Team GB/Paralympics GB but includes the likes of British Cycling, Rowing Coxless Four and the European Ryder Cup team.
    BBC wrote:
    The panel had the right to amend the criteria of the awards where there was unanimous agreement to do so,
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/wor ... 50876.html
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    They all seem to reward people for rescuing a fecked up situation rather than rewarding people who just quietly get on and succeed...

What you mean making it interesting?! It's better than the usual Andy Murray painful "snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory" thing! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    It's better than the usual Andy Murray painful "snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory" thing! :lol:

Anything is better than that... :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH