The make of Chamois pads those TDF riders are using ?

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
From having a look at various bib shorts from various manufacturers at various price ranges, ive seen the popular coolmax and powermax chamois pads . Those pros on the TDF, im wondering who the manufacturers are for the chamois pads that are in their bib shorts ? To get off a performance road saddle and be able to walk after 140 miles cycling certainly highlights what the quality of their pads must be like. Anybody know which make of chamois pads are popular amongst the pro riders ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    its not as bad as you think

custom fit frames, custom fit components, top end race gear

and some will tuck their balls (sumo style) which will allow them to ride in a different position
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    I think you'll find they simply have saddles that fit. FFS
  • ethanhayes
    ethanhayes Posts: 112
    edited April 2013
    Chirper
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    From watching the pros I see a fair amount of them using saddles like the fizik arione, which in the time i owned one was excrutiatingly sore in no time at all. I concluded those users had a bum like leather or else had really top quality chamois pads. Could some of those pros be using pads as basic as a coolmax, or is that unlikely ?
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    I dont think there is a magic answer for comfort on the bike. A saddle that fits your ass may not fit the next guys, and vice versa!

Any sort of padding can only go so far to correct a 'badly' fitting saddle, it just numbs the bad fit. The trick is finding a saddle that is shaped like your fat end! :lol: Thats expensive and time consuming, but why you see pros with different saddles in the same team - they always use the same saddles they are happy with.

Its also why there is a saddle swap shop on here!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I see that not a single person has answered the OP's question, whilst blathering on about other gubbins.

The man just wats to know who makes their chud protector pads!

Answer the question?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Surely it's a case of whichever make of shorts the rider is wearing? The Catelli Body Paint/FAR shorts are used (albeit with team markings) in the tour by Garmin-Sharp. The team is heavily involved in the design and development, which makes sense as it a mutually beneficially project. Same goes for the Nissan-Trek shorts made by Craft.

EDIT: posted at the same time as Sparkins.
  • sparkins1972
    sparkins1972 Posts: 252
    The Nissan Trek / Radioshack ones as mentioned by Bobbinogs - specifically worn by Cancellara

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/radioshack-nissan-trek-elite-swiss-aero-bib-short-2012-1209.html
  • sparkins1972
    sparkins1972 Posts: 252
    But in all honesty I have found that after a certain price point the improvements are marginal - I have a pair of these

http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/productdetail/Shutt-Pro-Bib-Shorts/ which are brilliant especially at the current sale price and I also have a pair of these

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Lusso-Pro-Gel-II-12-Panel-Bib-Shorts/LUSSZBBS380 which are perfectly comfortable but at full price are 30 quid cheaper.

A lot depends on finding a brand that suits your shape and wallet
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its nothing to do with a magic pad in the shorts.

Far more to do with them having a great fit on the bike and a saddle that suits them. They can do these distances because they ride so many hours per week. Most beginners aren't used to it - but they will get more comfy with time.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    cougie wrote:
    Its nothing to do with a magic pad in the shorts.

Far more to do with them having a great fit on the bike and a saddle that suits them. They can do these distances because they ride so many hours per week. Most beginners aren't used to it - but they will get more comfy with time.

This.

With the right saddle (for you) padding is pretty much irrelevant. I have a Fizik Pave CX saddle which fits me well enough that I can ride 50+ miles without padded shorts and not suffer any discomfort. By contrast the saddle on a Boris bike will be causing pain within 5 miles.

Give it a couple of hundred miles, but if your saddle still hurts you after that then a trip to the assometer might be in order.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Firstly, the team issue kit is not the repro-team kit you get down your LBS - the materials and cut are often completely different. The brand names on the kit often had no bearing to who makes the stuff - it's just there to keep the sponsors happy. In terms of the seat pad, Cytec are acknowledged to be one of the best.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..