Why are my tubes deflating..?

Dannie90
Dannie90 Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in MTB beginners
I'm new to biking so please bare with me... i have a marin shoreline trail 2010 and i have just started riding it to get fit mainly along backroads and hopefully trails soon. the original tubes went down and being a novice decided just to get some new tubes but just went out and they kept going down after pumping them up every time and it just got frustrating? the tubes are Airwave MTB Tube 26x2.1 (got the 26x2.1 of the tyre so should be the size) i don't know the type of tube but this is the one, you have to remove the cap and then screw the valve up so you can pump up the tube then screw the valve back down...
where the valve sticks out the wheel theres a gap all the way around where this valve is smaller than the original if they may be the problem.
Thanks for any help.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like you need Schrader valves, which are fatter, the thinner Presta ones may be chafing on the holes, and puncturing.
    Have you checked to see if you have punctures? You need to check the inside of the tyre before fixing punctures, or replacing tubes as if whatever caused the puncture is atill stuck in the tyre, you'll just get another one.
    Another possibility is running pressures too low and getting pinch flats.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Sounds like you need Schrader valves, which are fatter, the thinner Presta ones may be chafing on the holes, and puncturing.
    Have you checked to see if you have punctures? You need to check the inside of the tyre before fixing punctures, or replacing tubes as if whatever caused the puncture is still stuck in the tyre, you'll just get another one.
    Another possibility is running pressures too low and getting pinch flats.

Yeah, checking the tyre is definitely a good idea, you would be amazed how tiny slivers of glass or even thorns can stick in there. They will be a persistent issue unless removed. Ive run presta valves for a while and not had any specific issues with them myself, interesting observation though, have you seen much associated chafing yourself?