Rubbish fork improvement advice?

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I am trying to get 120mm travel out of my XCR's but I need a longer / larger travel spring to do so. :roll:

I found some Manitou Drake fork springs that might work but I don't know the dimensions.

The spring i am looking for is a medium compression, 24mm diameter, 120mm travel & 270mm unextended.

Does anyone know if they would work in the fork? :?

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    A longer spring will not give more travel. It may give less.

Full info on the xcrs? Year version etc.....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MTB noob
    XCR LO 100mm 2011 with 250mm x 24mm and kind of soft spring.

I am looking to buy some 120mm travel springs to get the travel longer.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • nicklouse
    Ok a quick look at the manual. Don't do it. As well as a longer spring the 120 version uses a different upper assy. And you will need a new longer Elastomer to go down the centre and also need to lose the rebound spacer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • MTB noob
    Is there anywhere else that may sell springs that are compatible for XCR? or shall i just buy the 120mm forks instead?
  • nicklouse
    MTB noob wrote:
    Is there anywhere else that may sell springs that are compatible for XCR? or shall i just buy the 120mm forks instead?
    It is not te springs it is the fork you can not do it.

Different forks may be a better bet.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends whether you actually need more travel, or just firmer (not longer) springs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools