Please help - 2005 bike that's never been used - Would you

Swervin Mervin
Swervin Mervin Posts: 50
edited July 2012 in MTB general
I'm after a run around for the missus and have been offered a 2005 TREK 3500 for £120.

trek3500-399-75.jpg

What perils are there in buying a 'brand new' bike that's never been ridden but that's been standing for seven years?

Would you at £120?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Looks about 120 quid bike.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Rusted chain and cassette perhaps. It will most likely need new brake and gear cables, and maybe new inner tubes/tyres. The rest should be okay!
  • Hmmm. Looks in good shape to me....I thought it might have been a bargain....you don't think so?

138717178.jpg

138717066.jpg
  • Anymore opinions before I grab a bargain/waste £120??
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is worth £120, I'd buy it.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Wow that really is brand new. Change the chain/gear cables/brake cables and it will be fine.

I would offer £100 though
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Will make a fine pub bike/runaround. Offer less as it has bottom end parts, quill stem and I think a screw on freewheel and see if you can grind them down. But it's better than a BSO.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I wouldn't even worry about chain, cables etc. Looks like it's been dry stored. Just new tubes.
    And even that only because if the do go when you pump the tyres you might have a heart attack.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Greer_ wrote:
    Rusted chain and cassette perhaps. It will most likely need new brake and gear cables, and maybe new inner tubes/tyres. The rest should be okay!
    Hmmm. Looks in good shape to me....I thought it might have been a bargain....you don't think so?

138717178.jpg

138717066.jpg

Those pictures may have came in handy ....

It looks like its in great condition.
  • Okay guys..thanks! :)

The missus is umming and aaahing because it's a few years old.

I'm going over to see it in half an hour so we'll see!
  • Well, it's home and I'm pretty chuffed with it tbh.

Absolutely BRAND SPANKING NEW!! As it left the shop with bits of labels attached etc. :D
  • cooldad
    Good deal. Now go throw her off a mountain.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Good deal. Now go throw her off a mountain.

What the bike or the missus? :shock:

It'll probably spend most of it's time on the local seafront pottering about with the two kids tagging along behind.

Still....nice to get a decent(ish) NEW bike for £120!! 8)
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    good buy. I wouldn't bother changing anything either. It looks in mint condition.
    Many happy trails!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    To all those who said change the chain, why?

It won't have stretched or been used, even the grease should be intact as its pretty sticky stuff inside the links. A good dry lube should be fine.

Rubber perishes so change the inner tubes, maybe chuck some new bargin bucket semi slicks on for her if its a sea front bike, that way it'll ride easier and she'll have new (unperished) rubber
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Appears to be in good condition. For 120, I'd go for it.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I'd just ride it and see what breaks. As for rubber perishing - my 1996 Kili Comp that I use for commuting is only on its second set of tubes and if the tyres look ok, they probably are.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    Appears to be in good condition. For 120, I'd go for it.

Do keep up dear.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Looks like you got a good buy there, I think this is how manufacturers need to spec there low end bikes with rigid forks a V-brakes, so much better than cheap,nasty and heavy suspension forks and mechanical cable discs.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • jehosophat
    jehosophat Posts: 108
    You got a bargain there. Bike tech is very, very basic - it's not like it's a modern car or motorbike engine that has been sat there 7 years unstarted - that might be trouble! Air seals are about the only thing I'd worry about on a bike sat that long, and it has none of them (except, as people have pointed out, the inner tubes - and I have some of them a decade old!).