can't unscrew rotor bolts

jefflad
jefflad Posts: 315
edited September 2012 in The workshop
At the weekend I decided to change my rotors for my brakes on my commuter. The rear securing bolts came off and back on no problem but the front proved problematic and I ended up shredding the hex screw head. Now I need to work out how to remove them, thinking I could gouge a mark for a flat head screwdriver but has anyone else done this and what did they do... I could always leave them on :)

Comments

• Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Going to be a PITA now, heat is your friend, the alloy of the hub will expand more than the steel bolt so it will be easier to take out, you could try some heat coupled the the slot and tight fitting flathead (I prefer a socket bit for stuff like that) or you could drill the head off the bolt, then try heat and vice grips on the stub of the screw.

If you ain't confident, take it to a local light engineering shop, preferably one with old geezers in it, they'll have it off in no time. :)
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • jefflad
    Thanks Big Paul, I'll consult my yellow pages...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Erm....are you sure it's a hex head?

Most rotor bolts are a (T25?) Torx head. If you've used the wrong tool then you're more likely to mash the head up.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Be careful with a heat gun around your hub, you could easily damage bearing seals or cause the grease in them to liquify enough to run out of the bearing.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • You should have/will need to use heat. The reason they were difficult to get out is because the bolts will have been fitted with Loctite threadlock (the blue stuff you often see on new bolts). It's essentially a glue to stop critical bolts (brakes/suspension etc) vibrating loose. To remove Loctited bolts, you are supposed to apply some heat first to force the Loctite to release its grip.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Easiest way is to cut a srewdriver slot in them, remove, throw and buy new.

Some cheap ones are Allen key, most are T25.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Or grind the top off the bolts, remove the rotor then grab the shaft of the bolt with pliers and unscrew. That's never failed for me.
  • jefflad
    Thanks... haven't tried to remove them yet and basically working OK.

Was going to leave heat well alone as it frightened me :-/

Think I'll try the gouge like I said in the original post if that fails get my grinder out... oh and yes it was a hex bolt, can't remember who asked that question.

Thanks again for all the replies!
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    get all the ones out you can and then molegrips, is how I have done it before
  • jefflad
    StefanP wrote:
    get all the ones out you can and then molegrips, is how I have done it before

Aye, a good tip... I'll try that too.

Thanks
  • If you haven't sorted this yet..... My brother had the same problem not too long ago he brought his bike down to my house and I just got the impact driver out and it undid it first try with no problems. Just make sure you use the correct bit and it should work a treat