Cavendish to quit Sky...

2»

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    coriordan wrote:
    plectrum wrote:
    The only difference is that whilst Cavendish being young and brash wants to win everything his team boss Brailsford stated in no uncertain terms that Wiggins focus this year is yellow and Cavendish focus is Olympic road race. I'd sure when Cavendish gets his train of Froome, Wiggins, Stannard, Miller putting him in prime position to sprint home to the gold he'll privately thank Brailsford and realise that the boss has his best interests at heart.

beautifully put.

This, plus the boss man made sure all of British Cycling and Britain's cyclists worked there legs off to get a full team allocation for Copenhagen to enable Cav to get the bands. They've put the hard work in for him, now IMHO he's riding the tour with out a train as a sign of appreciation / respect for what they have done for him.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Alan A wrote:
    This, plus the boss man made sure all of British Cycling and Britain's cyclists worked there legs off to get a full team allocation for Copenhagen to enable Cav to get the bands. They've put the hard work in for him, now IMHO he's riding the tour with out a train as a sign of appreciation / respect for what they have done for him.
    And he is now happy to try and help with the yellow because he knows he'll be paid back in spades by Wiggins and Froome in the Olympic road race - Cav will be needing these two riding themselves into the ground.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    And he is now happy to try and help with the yellow because he knows he'll be paid back in spades by Wiggins and Froome in the Olympic road race - Cav will be needing these two riding themselves into the ground.

The problem there is it only leaves 3 days ( i think) recovery time for the TT. Or is this enough time to recover?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    afx237vi wrote:
    Should have gone to Dukla Prague instead. Their away kit is epic.

4075fullimage.jpg

I've heard that they're goalkeeper wears Joy Division oven gloves!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Daz555 wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

The problem there is it only leaves 3 days ( i think) recovery time for the TT. Or is this enough time to recover?

To be fair I think they could throttle back a bit now.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    we've seen him doing the water carrying and doing limited work on the front in the only real mountain stage so far so he doesn't seem unhappy to me.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    sherer wrote:
    we've seen him doing the water carrying and doing limited work on the front in the only real mountain stage so far so he doesn't seem unhappy to me.

He rode on the front most of the way up a Cat 2 climb in Romandie as well
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Next year won't be that bad for Sky.

Thomas will be back on leadou duties. he has a great working relationship with EBH which will no doubt work for Cav.

Leadout + sprints = Cav, Thomas, EBH, Eisel, Stanndard
    GC riding which will of course be using the leadout traing = Wiggins, Froome, Porte +one more
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    plectrum wrote:
    The only difference is that whilst Cavendish being young and brash wants to win everything his team boss Brailsford stated in no uncertain terms that Wiggins focus this year is yellow and Cavendish focus is Olympic road race. I'd sure when Cavendish gets his train of Froome, Wiggins, Stannard, Miller putting him in prime position to sprint home to the gold he'll privately thank Brailsford and realise that the boss has his best interests at heart.

100%. Cav and Wiggo both signed contracts knowing what the 2012 and beyond goal was. I won't go into specifics here but there were quite a few small races early season that SKY and many other teams fielded a team into. It can work if they plan ahead,set goals and keep the machine rolling smoothly.

There is room for both a GC jersey rider like Wiggo and a sprinter ala Cav in the teambus. Up to now SKY have used both impeccably well,given the opportunity. But as for the TDF, Wiggo and Cav both knew what the plan was,both accepted it. Unfortunately Cav is in the bitch role currently, but it will change.

I do think though that on present form alone, Froomy will be a much bigger name in the future.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    nweststeyn wrote:
    All fair points but you are forgetting:

He is on a contract with a huge salary, and has ridden a lot of races this year that are not called the tour de france, in which Team Sky has slowly but surely built an ever improving leadout train. They do work for him and have done all year in every race except this one. It's not like he's been ignored all year.

2 stages in Tour of Qatar.
    1st in Kuurne Brussels Kuurne.
    3 stages in Giro d'Italia (and in contention for more but taken out by crashes) and 2nd in the red jersey competition by only 1 point.
    1st place on GC in Ster-ZLM toer
    1 stage in 2012 Tour de France.

Amen to this - end of thread.
  • You're right of course, the internet is no place for challenging or controversial opinions, especially among so many fanboys, I'm not sure what I was thinking.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Alternatively you are just wrong.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Hehe, internet forums are a hoot; it's the law of the playground....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    You're right of course, the internet is no place for challenging or controversial opinions, especially among so many fanboys, I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Hardly a controversial opinion - most on here were suggesting Cav would face this issue before he signed for Sky. Do you really think Cav is so stupid that he signed on expecting a full lead out train when everyone knew it was a perfect TdF route for Wiggins? I'm sure him and his agent sat down with the Sky management and agreed exactly how the resources would be split. It's not challenging thinking, just more ill thought out speculation which is exactly what the internet was invented for. Can you turn your challenging and inquisitive mind to where Cav would be better off moving to?
  • "more ill thought out speculation which is exactly what the internet was invented for"

Glad your adding to it.
  • ddraver
    God where are they all coming from this month...?

Just relax HH, people disagree with you - that's all!
    - @ddraver
  • My thoughts exactly. See, we do agree on something.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    ddraver wrote:
    It's always like this in July.

The Eneco Tour normally puts paid to them.
  • ddraver
    Man, I never thought I'd say I can't wait for the ENECO Tour.....

Bertie's back then too!
    - @ddraver
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Given that Wiggins has a hat full of golds already I suspect Wiggins would gain more satisfaction from Cav winning the road race than he will in the TT for himself. I wonder if he still feels a pang of guilt about Beijing where Wiggins' tiredness ultimately cost Cav a chance of a medal and left Cav as the only BC team member with nothing to bring home.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Daz555 wrote:
    Given that Wiggins has a hat full of golds already I suspect Wiggins would gain more satisfaction from Cav winning the road race than he will in the TT for himself. I wonder if he still feels a pang of guilt about Beijing where Wiggins' tiredness ultimately cost Cav a chance of a medal and left Cav as the only BC team member with nothing to bring home.

I dunno, I thought the world champs was payback. No conflicting interests, Wiggins worked for Cav end of story. I think Wiggins will be very conscious of the TT during the RR. Expect Froome and Wiggins to do any early pulls rather than work all day and let the others bring it back to central London.
  • slow_step
    slow_step Posts: 18
    noticed he has been riding the autobus with ex-team mates who are at the spinters team Geen Edge, I would not be surprised if he went there next year. very difficult to have a yellow and green team
  • Spiny_Norman
    Spiny_Norman Posts: 128
    ddraver wrote:
    Man, I never thought I'd say I can't wait for the ENECO Tour.....

Bertie's back then too!
    Yes, that'll make everything calm down.
    N00b commuter with delusions of competence

FCN 11 - If you scalp me, do I not bleed?
  • ddraver
    :P....
    - @ddraver
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    andyp wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    It's always like this in July.

The Eneco Tour normally puts paid to them.

It's like a gym in January. :roll:
  • morstar wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

I dunno, I thought the world champs was payback. No conflicting interests, Wiggins worked for Cav end of story. I think Wiggins will be very conscious of the TT during the RR. Expect Froome and Wiggins to do any early pulls rather than work all day and let the others bring it back to central London.
    That's how I think it will pan out wiggo and froome do the early work leaving them to soft pedal home whilst stannard and miller to drag him to the finish line.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    In my head, I have Stannard and Millar dragging him to the finish, whilst Wiggins and Froome get him up Box hill nine times.

I see them riding three a breast, Cav in the middle, with the other two giving him a push. A legitimate tactic surely :wink:
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    slow_step wrote:
    noticed he has been riding the autobus with ex-team mates who are at the spinters team Geen Edge, I would not be surprised if he went there next year. very difficult to have a yellow and green team

The sprinters get dropped and inevitably end up in the bus together for survival. He is friendly with some of them after spending years in the same team or just riding next to them in the peloton on a daily basis so it's hardly a surprise they have a chat. Can you imagine Goss being happy to go back to being a lead-out man for Cav or for Cav going there as their sprinter for the chippers? Green Edge are set up looking to get glory through their Aussie riders. It never ceases to amaze me how people can draw massive conclusions from the smallest of issues.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    The greenedge sprint train hasn't exactly visible... don't think I can even remember if they have even attemptd to form a train?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    we saw the other day with two dutch riders on different teams and when one was struggling after a crash he kept getting a push so hanging about with ex team mates doesn't mean that much