Rocket Ron Sidewalls

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited July 2012 in MTB general
I had a puncture and last night decided while i was at it i may as well change the tyre from my panaracer razer xc to a rocket ron evo compound.
The sidewall seemed very thin in comparison to the Razer and also to the Nobby Nic i have on my front.
Are the Rons more prone to tearing on their sidewalls?

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They clue might be in the name.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Like paper! Not good for rocky trails ime.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    The evos usually wear out quite quickly on the rear too. Many people put an evo on the front for better grip and a plain ORC compound on the rear as they're cheaper to replace.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not a tyre I'd choose for rocky terrain, I switch to Ralphs if I'm somewhere rocky.

In fact I have a pile of torn Rons I must try fixing! They're great tyres, but can be a bit fragile!
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Thanks guys

I'll prepare myself for them possibly not lasting too long. Fingers crossed i get a few miles out of them.
    Will try them on a ride tonight and see how i go.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I have Rons on my racebike. Run tubeless. So far so good but I would keep them well away from anywhere rocky!
  • jehosophat
    jehosophat Posts: 108
    Rons and Ralphs both have paper thin sidewalls. I tore a Ralph's sidewall to shreds after about four rides, banking the bike over on a vehicle-width track that just had a few flints on it. Lesson learned - I have a pair of Rons that have survived a year of gentler riding.

Even Nics have pretty thin sidewalls - I have a pair of snakeskin Nics that I use for trail centres as they actually have sidewalls you can feel.

Great tyres, but they need some care...
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Rons and Ralphs both have paper thin sidewalls. I tore a Ralph's sidewall to shreds after about four rides, banking the bike over on a vehicle-width track that just had a few flints on it. Lesson learned - I have a pair of Rons that have survived a year of gentler riding.

Even Nics have pretty thin sidewalls - I have a pair of snakeskin Nics that I use for trail centres as they actually have sidewalls you can feel.

2 types of carcass - Rons, Fred and Dans have a thinner one, Ralphs and Nics have (the same) slightly thicker one.

Snakeskin or Double Defence are good for rocky areas though.