SRAM Rival- lower gears

Greycyclist
Greycyclist Posts: 22
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I have seen the previous discussions on lower gears but mine query refers specifically to SRAM Rival. I have a compact system with 50x34 chainset and a 10 speed 13-27 cassette. With this combination, and old age, I would like to have a lower set up for my local hills. My query is: what is the largest cassette can I put on the rear end without fouling the mechanism? and as an alternative is it possible change the chainset?
Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    You can certainly go to 28, as that's a standard size for SRAM cassettes, and given that there's always some wiggle room with these things 29 should work fine (Miche make a 13-29 compatible with Shimano/SRAM). Above that you'd probably want to get the 'WiFLi' rear mech (eg http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/ ... derailleur) that will take you up to 32.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • I've got a 28T on one of my cassettes with Rival short cage rear mech and it's fine. TBH if you're already on a 34/27 and it's not low enough I'd look at swapping the mech as verloren says. Having said that my 34/28 is very low, and I only use it on the nastiest steepest bits.
  • Thanks for the replies and info. I will go to my LBS and see what they can do.
    Thanks
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I have a commuter bike with Rival Groupset 53/39 front and 11-32back on a long arm rival dérailleur - it works fine as it did when I ran the same rear with a 50/34 front. and hills are much easier on my commute :)