Wheel Re-Alignment

benhben
benhben Posts: 71
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
After a recent crash, I have a what appears to be a slightly bent rear American Classic 420 Aero 3 wheel. Originally thinking the frame was damaged causing the wobble, turns out its the wheel.

When I say slightly, I mean slightly. To look at you would not notice any damage, however when the wheel is spun and observed closely in relation to the brake pad position there is a wobble of about 1-2mm.

Would this be noticable to carry on riding with this deviation?

Do local bike stores (thinking Leisure Lakes Bikes) have the ability to re-align slightly damaged wheels?

Thanks,
Ben

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It seems a pretty straightforward re-truing job. Any decent shop should be able to carry that out charging around 10 pounds
    left the forum March 2023
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    So easy to do yourself. A spoke key and you can sort it in under 5 minutes.
  • benhben
    benhben Posts: 71
    Or probably in my case make it significantly worse in 5 minutes!
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Leisure Lakes charge £7.50 per wheel (my local one does anyway) as I was in there asking about it yesterday.

They were so busy they couldn't get me booked in for ten days though so have taken mine to Halfords....
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    if you've not done it before, take it your local bike shop - £7.50 to £10 labour. Simple.

Alternative is a few quid on a spoke key and you make your wheel look like a crisp!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    daveski12 wrote:
    Leisure Lakes charge £7.50 per wheel (my local one does anyway) as I was in there asking about it yesterday.

They were so busy they couldn't get me booked in for ten days though so have taken mine to Halfords....

I'm praying for you.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    halford truing a wheel my god? Its not easy the first time you do it but with practise its not impossible. I would seriously not let anybody in halfords near my wheels with a spoke key. I wouldnt even give them the key to my biscuit barrell
  • worth every penny and will save you many £'s plus, if you're out on a ride, 30 miles from home and a spoke goes, you'll be able to fix and get home

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    daveski12 wrote:

Christ !!! You're brave :shock:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I have both wheels back (although the chap in the bikes department when I went to collect them couldnt find them) and they're both fine. The only issue is the tyres only have 60psi in them and being a noob I don't yet have a pump capable of pumping them back up to 100.
  • daveski12 wrote:
    I have both wheels back (although the chap in the bikes department when I went to collect them couldnt find them) and they're both fine. The only issue is the tyres only have 60psi in them and being a noob I don't yet have a pump capable of pumping them back up to 100.
    hi ho, hi ho, it's back to Halfords we go...... JoeBlow sport track pump - simples !
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack