Bradley Wiggins - Legend?

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    coriordan wrote:
    I think its a turn on the 'ill eat my hat'

I may have taken him a bit literally there.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I'm waiting for stomachofanger to bring out the T shirt :wink:

And after today's time trial - definitely legend
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    coriordan wrote:
    I think its a turn on the 'ill eat my hat'

I may have taken him a bit literally there.

^ this
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Said this over on pro-race.

He should know having watched cycling for years and been in many tours that ANY tour contender gets asked questions and eyebrows are raised. Doing this won't help, and as much as it feels like letting off steam, it usually only winds you up more and causes more hassle and stress in the long run.

The same with that camera man earlier. It'd saved more energy trying to avoid him.

Then again, it's easy to say that from my sofa. But ask Evans about lashing out in front of the cameras or knocking people out of your way after a stage. He's certainly calmed down more than he did before and he's a better GT rider for it.

It was an attack on his whole team, which he defended... Having listened to the interview he doesn't scream and shout he just uses a poor choice of words.. If he didn't swear, we probably wouldn't be talking about it.

He should (and probably does) expect it.

His team rinsed the entire peloton on Saturday in the TdF. As the team leader, he should expect some questions on that.

This is cycling, not football. Every good performance comes with raised eyebrows. He himself, when he was a lowly rider in the Tour rather than GC contender, said he wasn't surprised and understood why people raise eyebrows.

Now it's him in the spotlight he doesn't like it anymore.

If he'd stuck to the usual gambit, kept his head down, he'd have avoided all this chat about it. You can bet a journo will ask the same question again to get another good response.

All he can do is not dope, ride as best he can, and be sensible infront of the cameras. Stuff like this helps no-one.

He's ridden a flawless race so far. He shouldn't let poor media discipline spoil it.
    Agreed, he has ridden superbly so far. He was asked a question that was insulting to him and his team. His answer was open and honest. Not even a problem with the swearing, that's how he felt. Poor media discipline? More like wearing your heart on your sleeve and telling it how you see it. Good for him.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Will he be as sweary about Cofidis then?

I suspect not.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Will he be as sweary about Cofidis then?

I suspect not.

Oh come on RC. I think his reaction was understandable. Adrenaline was still up and he snapped. I'm sure if he'd been asked that a bit later he would have been less sweary, but come on, he'd just put in a very good ride on what wasn't an easy day. Pretty tough to stay cool under the circumstances, especially given the work he's done and the pressure he's under.

He also has a fair point re twitter. These people who badmouth under pseudonyms should have the courage to voice their doubts openly.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Today shows why said people on twitter are sceptical.

The two biggest stories in cycling on the first rest day?

-A cyclist on the Tour is arrested on the tour and two other people from the team detained by police.

- A judge throws out an attempt to gag an anti-doping charge against a 7 times TdF winner and ex world champion, his team manager, and 3 of his team's doctors.

A few months ago someone on pro-race asked the regulars to name Tour winners who we were pretty sure have no dirt on them.

Most came up with one or two names, over 99 editions.

Jeremy whittle just tweeted that he spent a day with the chap who's just been arrested and said he seemed wide eyed and very anti-doping.... You can't blame people who watch cycling for so long to be sceptical. As I said before, Wiggins more or less said the same when he was a lowly rider at Cofidis...

Wiggins knows the deal. He should take it as a compliment. It's not like he's the first rider to take flak for good performances, nor is his team the first.

Had he not sworn or said anything controversial we'd still be discussing his excellent performance, rather than this, right? You can empathise with his position and think he'd have been better off not saying it.
  • rubertoe

You'll be able to add a third to that soon...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• tailwindhome
    rubertoe wrote:

I can't see Evans winning.

/stir
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    rubertoe wrote:

/stir

he wouldn't be a "new" winner if he did.

/fact
  • tailwindhome
    BigMat wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

/stir

/fact

/notsoslowyoueh?
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

/stir

/fact

/notsoslowyoueh?

/itsbeenoneofthosedays/weeks/months!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    gabriel959 wrote:

So Kimmage and Wiggins don't like each other?

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gabriel959 wrote:

I think the meat of that was that Bradley Wiggins didn't like one of the journalists much and said, "No, I'm not having him about, he'll do my nut*", so that constitutes a lack of openness in the anti-doping process?

I think the real question about Wiggo is why he'd bother shaving his legs and then leaves those ridiculous mutton chops.
  • rjsterry
    gabriel959 wrote:

I think the meat of that was that Bradley Wiggins didn't like one of the journalists much and said, "No, I'm not having him about, he'll do my nut*", so that constitutes a lack of openness in the anti-doping process?

I think the real question about Wiggo is why he'd bother shaving his legs and then leaves those ridiculous mutton chops.

And the dodgy Prodigy tattoo on his left shoulder - deary-me. Children's names is one thing, but album cover art?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rubertoe

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    OK so I read an article in the Metro today.

Basically Bradders is pissed off because he has worked hard to get to where he is and in his mind (so he says) has done that fairly and cleanly.

To be then asked to comment on all dopers past and present in the sport is a bit of a smack in the face. so I would be a little cheesed off. It's like 'to lead the Tour is to have doped' (which incidentally is perpetual effect of all the Armstrong doping charges. IMO).

However, I think he needs to calm the fuck down and keep his head. Last thing he wants to do is ride angry at this stage.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    don't think he's angry - he's just a foul-mouth feckin' Londoner int'ee?
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK so I read an article in the Metro today.

Basically Bradders is pissed off because he has worked hard to get to where he is and in his mind (so he says) has done that fairly and cleanly.

To be then asked to comment on all dopers past and present in the sport is a bit of a smack in the face. so I would be a little cheesed off. It's like 'to lead the Tour is to have doped' (which incidentally is perpetual effect of all the Armstrong doping charges. IMO).

However, I think he needs to calm the fark down and keep his head. Last thing he wants to do is ride angry at this stage.

It's not the perpetual effect of the Armstrong doping charges - it's the effect of so many Tour winners having been later exposed as cheats.

Exposing cheats doesn't harm cycling. Cheating does.

Oh and Brad does need to calm down, stop calling people c*nts and deal with the questions that the media are entitled to ask in a more level headed fashion. You would think Sky would have given him some basic media training.

He needs to understand that the reason he is battling with Evans for this Tour is that due to the work done to drive cheats out of cycling by the very people is now swearing at and blocking on Twitter. 3 years ago he was dropped by a 38 year old Armstrong on Mount Ventoux......Hmmmm.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    3 years ago he was dropped by a 38 year old Armstrong on Mount Ventoux......Hmmmm.

Perhaps another way of looking at it is that a 38 year old dropped a 29 year old on Mont Ventoux.....
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    cjcp wrote:
    3 years ago he was dropped by a 38 year old Armstrong on Mount Ventoux......Hmmmm.

Perhaps another way of looking at it is that a 38 year old dropped a 29 year old on Mont Ventoux.....

That's what I meant, though it doesn't read that way.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:

That's what I meant, though it doesn't read that way.

Doh! Replied to this in the tdf thread.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I'm curious as to why Armstrong is held responsible for the doping reputation of the tour - the only thing against him at the moment is rumour and innuendo. Doping on the tour started with Tommy Simpson's generation and has continued to date with Contador
  • rjsterry
    I'm curious as to why Armstrong is held responsible for the doping reputation of the tour - the only thing against him at the moment is rumour and innuendo. Doping on the tour started with Tommy Simpson's generation and has continued to date with Contador

It's far older than that and was originally seen as perfectly acceptable.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_at_the_Tour_de_France#1903-1940s:_Doping_as_acceptable_means
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Doping started long before Simpson
  • rubertoe
    Good article in the guardian by "wiggo"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... dope-drugs

• gabriel959

He is because he failed 6 doping tests, because according to certain scientists the performances he did achieve are not actually physiologically achievable by any human being that didn't take drugs, because more than one of his teammates has tested positive for doping, for all the new blood data that has just come up to the fore... etc...
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959
    rubertoe wrote:

It is ok - better than the insults but his argument is lacking in logic, look at Lance Armstrong, Alberto Contador, Pantani, etc...
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • bigmat
    gabriel959 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

It is ok - better than the insults but his argument is lacking in logic, look at Lance Armstrong, Alberto Contador, Pantani, etc...

I don't follow? He is giving HIS reasons why HE would never dope. Its as emphatic a denial as you could ever hope to hear. What "logic" does it lack?