All these gears.....

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
I did a lovely 37m ride today on a mix of mud gravel and tarmac and came to the conclusion that I only use (and therefore need) four of my twenty gears.

They would be;

Pootle
Brisk
Downhill
And granny

Do you honestly track through your cassette to keep the revs in the powerband?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Yup. All my gears wear fairly evenly.

Edit - not through some precious desire to stay in the powerband, just because hills are getting harder but I can still aim for mad speeds on the downhills, so it's smallest to biggest and all points in between.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Yes.

I seem to have a fairly narrow range of comfortable cadence (though I think I'm getting spinnier), so I tend to change up and down the cassette as gradient and road surface dictate.
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    Same here, 100-110rpm at all times. Alll gears get used, however the granny ring less so commuting in London.
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    edited July 2012
    All of them.
    I change gear in response to small changes in gradient more than anyone else I've seen. Round about 95-105rpm if I'm making a sustained effort [which is modest by SCR standards], but down to 70-80 pootling. Spin up to ~135 if I need acceleration.

On hills, I quickly go down to bottom gear (~20") at ~7% gradient, to stay spinny. Which would probably be a useless race technique, but I think is the way to go for touring.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I always use all of my gears. All one of them.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    My knees are rubbish and I'm not very spinny. So I'm up and down like a whore's drawers.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Yes, I change quite a lot. I have slightly iffy knees so I'm very consciously trying not to mash a bigger gear than necessary at any time, and to keep my cadence high.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    On the good bike yes, on the BSO only really use 2
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pretty much - esp on the new bike.

Seems a bit pointless having Ultegra gears if you don't use them.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yes - for sure

Seems a bit pointless having Ultegra Di2 gears if you don't use them :wink: 8) :D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jejv
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I always use all of my gears. All one of them.
    One of my colleagues did Bryan Chapman on SS. He flipped the wheel in Anglesey.
    So he used all two gears.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I use all 3 of Brompton's regularly, although 1st gets least use, mainly first couple of pedal srokes off the lights if I need to put some lycra clad roadie in his place :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    Around town, I'm pretty much singlespeed - but then I live in cambridge. Further afield, I'll use the gears a little more and stay fresher rather than grinding when I encounter any form of gradient/headwind.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I have a 20 speed SRAM on the Duster and I thought it would be a problem when I first got it having had 27 gears on my previous MTB but to be honest I haven't missed them.
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    My ideal would be something with about 15 equally spaced ratios, on one shifter, like an Alfine or Rohloff but as light as a "normal" setup...quite surprised it can't be done really
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    The gears on my Nexus 8 hub are like a Land Rover 1-4 is the "low" box, 5-8 is the "high" one, to be honest I only really use 6 or 7, 5 if there's a headwind. Sometime you yearn for a half gear in between because some of the steps between gears are rather high.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    My ideal would be something with about 15 equally spaced ratios, on one shifter, like an Alfine or Rohloff but as light as a "normal" setup...quite surprised it can't be done really

You should try an alfine 11 set up. My old bike had a 105 triple. My latest commuter has alfine 11 (versa - drop bar shifters) and it feels like I only miss one gear at the bottom and have very slightly wider spacing. Dont miss either.

It is a bit heavier of course but not significant. Set a new PB for my commute this morning :)
  • woodnut wrote:

I use a Rohloff with 14 equally spaced gears. A discussion on the merits of this set-up can be found here.
    Andy Blanc wrote:
    the hub doesn’t weigh more than the items it replaces, but the frame needs some extra provision for the hub, the fact that all the weight is at the rear of the bike makes it feel heavier than it actually is

I really like the Rohloff for a MTB or Expedition bike, but I haven't yet seen a decent implimentation with drop handle bars and for that reason it is limited.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    on the commute/roadie only have one gear, But this being london ish not much is undoable.
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    jedster wrote:
    You should try an alfine 11 set up. My old bike had a 105 triple. My latest commuter has alfine 11 (versa - drop bar shifters) and it feels like I only miss one gear at the bottom and have very slightly wider spacing. Dont miss either.

It is a bit heavier of course but not significant. Set a new PB for my commute this morning :)

My MTB is Alfine 8, I love it on an MTB but it's undeniably heavy at the back wheel. I'm not sure I'd want the weight on the rear wheel of a road bike. That said, I understand the 11 is less weighty...is it a Pompetamine you have?
    I really like the Rohloff for a MTB or Expedition bike, but I haven't yet seen a decent implimentation with drop handle bars and for that reason it is limited.

I do wonder what the next thing will be, could planetary hub gears be made lighter I wonder
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Nope. Don't need half the gears I've got, and would rather have longevity and reliability. Don't really seem to give a monkey's which gear I'm in as long as it's vaguely grindy. Can't be arsed with flipping up and down through the gears.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I use

53/11 for down bits*
    53/12 for flat bits*
    53/13 for bits*

What you need is a dose of MTFU!

:D:D:D

*this may not be true
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    jedster wrote:

Jedster, I'm thinking of Alfine 11 next. I'm especially interested in the lower gears, but you say you're only really missing one at the bottom? I know the chainring and sprockets are important, but I thought you could go lower than that? Mind you I'm currently running a 46/36 double and my knees are killing me :lol:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Trying to improve/increase my cadence and shake of my bad habit of stomping too much so yeah I try to keep it over 90 most of the time.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • jejv
    rubertoe wrote:
    I use
    53/11 for down bits*
    53/12 for flat bits*
    53/13 for bits*
    Have you tried a 55 ?
    I have seen a 100 ring. The owner of an LBS commuted to his shop on it for ~fifty years.