convert 8 to 9 speed?

Bigun6767
Bigun6767 Posts: 81
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Two questions i could do with answering.1: I want to convert from 8 speed to 9 speed cassette.At the present i have 8 speed shimano CS HG30-81 cassette on a Mach 1 wheel.I am looking to replace with shimano deore crank set FC-M590,shimano deore cassette CS HG50 and shimano deore 9 speed HG53 chain.Will this fit to my existing freewheel/hub? I know i will need to replace the rear mech and shifter,will i need to replace the front mech aswell?(Jockey wheels and chain worn so ideal time to change up if i can)
2: Any tips of improving my new rock shox xc30 tk forks?How to make them a little firmer?I've been on SRAM's website and it looks like i need the firmest spring (Black).Where can i get one from?Any other tuning tricks?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it will fit you wheel. cranks front mech and shifter can be left. rear mech can be left. new cassette chain and rear shifter is all that is needed.

any shop that deals with fisheroutdoor. but how much sag are you getting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bigun6767
    I'm getting 24mm sag and fork has 100mm travel.
    I take it that the 9 speed chain will fit my original crankset then?
  • nicklouse
    sounds ok. may be a little soft.

yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When we converted my sons the front mech worked 'OK' but we were never 100% happy - the indexing had to be absolutely spot on or it would keep dropping into the granny over bumps and so we changed to a (slightly narrower) 9 speed, some 8speeds seem fine (I've just put an 8 on my 9) others never seem to be 100%.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bigun6767
    Just tried the new cassette on and it doesn't fit (not enough space to fit locking ring). It is 11-34 which has a spacer in but the 11-32 doesn't.Looks like I may have to fit this instead.shame coz I was looking forward to the extra ratio.Does this sound ok?
  • nicklouse
    Bigun6767 wrote:
    Just tried the new cassette on and it doesn't fit (not enough space to fit locking ring). It is 11-34 which has a spacer in but the 11-32 doesn't.Looks like I may have to fit this instead.shame coz I was looking forward to the extra ratio.Does this sound ok?
    nope. a freebody that had an 8 spd cassette on will take a 9sp and a 10sp cassette.

no idea what the "spacer" is you mention.
  • Bigun6767
    Its a plastic spacer ring between 6th and 7th.Tried cassette on both rear wheels that I have and is the same with both.The locking ring isn't deep enough to engage the thread.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The gears should all be the same width apart, there are spacers of some sort between every pair of gears, if this spacer is making the gap 6-7 larger then either it's not needed or it's not being fitted properly!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    Bigun6767 wrote:
    Its a plastic spacer ring between 6th and 7th.Tried cassette on both rear wheels that I have and is the same with both.The locking ring isn't deep enough to engage the thread.
    well then all i can say is that you can not have an 8 speed free body.

like i said 8/9/10 bodies are the same. 8 and 9spd cassettes are the same width. 10spd have the same mounting width but as they over hang the body into the wheel are a little wider.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#9cassettes
    Note: Shimano 8- 9- and 10-speed cassettes/hubs are fully interchangeable for wheels with steel Freehub bodies.

you are aligning the last cog correctly?
  • Bigun6767
    Feel a bit of a plum now! Rechecked the cassette again and found that the last two gears had jammed together.Once I freed them they went on a treat....thanks for your help.