Tyre weights question

One 80
One 80 Posts: 62
edited July 2012 in MTB general
hi.
i currently have mountain king 2s wire bead and like the sound of a lighter tyre like the panracer fire xc for example but would i notice the weight difference going for foldable light tyres?? is the extra money worth it?

i think i could save possibly 500grams or even more as im not sure what the kings weigh as google hasnt help with that but panracer fire xc weigh 590g each,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=78383

thanks for reading.
Boardman comp 2012

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Often the folding tyres use better compounds as well, so generally worth switching anyway.
    Google weight weenies - tables of all sorts of weights, made by nutters with accurate scales.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Fire XCs still aren't that light. Check out Rocket Rons or something, even in their cheaper Performance guise they're c500g, and the Evos are 440g.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Weight weenie type nutter ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    And proud!

Never made a spreadsheet or submitted a weight to Weight Weenies though, there are lines!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    njee20 wrote:
    Never made a spreadsheet
    Lies.
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    njee20 wrote:
    Fire XCs still aren't that light. Check out Rocket Rons or something, even in their cheaper Performance guise they're c500g, and the Evos are 440g.

thanks. iv looked them up but their a bit more than id want to spend on tyres. i think £30 each would be my limits.

thanks everyone else.

my other question is how noticable is the weight difference when your riding?
    Boardman comp 2012
  • njee20
    Lies

No, it really isn't. I just know what everything weighs, so I know where to save weight! Never ridden an off the shelf bike, which helps. Even those I've bought complete I've always swapped out half the parts from the start! :-)
    thanks. iv looked them up but their a bit more than id want to spend on tyres. i think £30 each would be my limits.

Well you can get Performance ones for €18 or Evo ones for €33.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    One 80 wrote:
    my other question is how noticable is the weight difference when your riding?
    You should notice a lighter feel with how the bike handles on the trails and how much less effort you need to pedal. I notice the difference with lighter wheels and tires for sure.
    Many happy trails!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    njee20 wrote:
    Never made a spreadsheet
    Lies.
    Nicked this from MTBR then updated it to have a 26" page but then got bored. feel free to add to it :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • njee20
    Err, you're alright! :-)

The trouble is there's bigger variation between identical tyres than there often is between models. It's half the reason I just use Schwalbe tyres, there's a consistency and a logic to them.

I have some Bontragers with less tread than a Furious Fred, but they weigh more than a Rocket Ron, pointless.