661 kyle strait knee pads gone soft!

Cr3do
Cr3do Posts: 89
edited July 2012 in MTB general
The formally hard shell on my 661 kyle strait knee pads have gone quite soft, they been worn a washed a over the last couple of months, so not there old.

Is this normal, or should they still be hard

Thanks.
Rockrider 8.1 (2011)

Comments

• if the hard shell that offers the protection has gone soft, then i'd say they are toast and good for keeping your knees warm but not a lot else!
    time for some nice new ones!! :-D
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    They've gone soft? What do you mean? It's just a bit of plastic with some padding round it...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    mine are nearly 3 years old, have been worn a fair bit and washed a good bit too - they are still hard - as mentioned not sure how they go soft - its plastic.

What temp are you washing them at?!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Out of all the knee pads out there these are categorically the least durable i've ever had.
  • Cr3do
    Cr3do Posts: 89
    I washed them on 30deg.

I don't know if it's just me, but they feel softer from when I first bought them.

It has not lost it shape, just feels soft I can bed the shell when I squeeze it, is this normal?
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • ilovedirt
    Yes, that's normal.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Mine aren't bullet proof - they protect though and they pedal well - I cant imagine anything more solid being more user friendly and as I say mine show little signs of wear except on inside of left knee where it catches from time to time on my cable guides.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Mine definitely feel softer than when I got them, about 8 months ago, but I thought it was probably what to expect after a while. They still do their job though, I've crashed a fair few times over the course of having them and my knees have never got hurt. Lots of other stuff has but not my knees.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you're frequently washing them that's probably softening them up quicker.

I wash them about once a years (mmm, smelly !!!). Some don't bother at all. Most the time I just wipe and dust them off and that's all. The shell is maybe a little softer than it was a year or so back, but still tough enough to take impacts on the knee.

Can't say it's saved my knees, I just haven't noticed but landed on them a few times. Seems what I need now is arm and chest protection as these are taking some serious beating.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Mine are approx a year old, been washed about half a dozen times, once they're nice and smelly :)
    Usually just give them a squirt of febreeze and hang them on the line after a ride.
    Not noticed them being any softer than when I bought them.
  • They're probably not fully made of plastic. Plastics are waterproof.
    Perhaps the manufacturers mixed the pads with other materials (carbon compound or something) to make it more lightweight.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Whe you say soft to you mean they bend easily? Surely the overall surface is still hard?
    Many happy trails!
  • DodgeT
    They're not a hard type of pad though, like plastic, they're more like a real dense padding inside the knee cap part. They will bend if twisted enough.
  • timpop
    Oh I see. I just had a look on the 661 site. It's ok if they bend as long as they still offer good protection. There is still a hard shell under the soft covering so should protect from impacts. It's hard to say without having a feel but perhaps the padding under the hard part is a little soft.
    Many happy trails!
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5nlGFsvDcEluNIWT47pq7vOQMg5z9YceRdwY2Cwc_IE5a03HL

Might help
  • timpop
    TwellySmat wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5nlGFsvDcEluNIWT47pq7vOQMg5z9YceRdwY2Cwc_IE5a03HL

Might help
    You shouldn't really offer stock from your own supply. You might need it.
    Many happy trails!
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I have plenty, and I never have the opportunity to use it. So it's fine
  • timpop
    TwellySmat wrote:
    I have plenty, and I never have the opportunity to use it. So it's fine
    :lol::lol:
    Many happy trails!
  • DodgeT
    Don't be stingy, get em shared out. Come in handy for a nice long walk :)
  • ilovedirt
    Yeah, they're meant to be fairly soft, that's part of the design, but they still offer good protection. I went down HARD on the 4x track on chavannes in the alps a few weeks ago (hard pack surface). Totally messed up my hand and my helmet, got a slight graze on one knee through my pads (661 kyle straits). I'm guessing had I not been wearing them, I'd have barely been walking.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5