Wot gloves like, innit?

montevideoguy
montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey folks,

Currently looking at buying a new pair of gloves for riding (coming into full winter here and the wind is bloody cold). Have one of wife's cousins in US at the mo so going to take advantage of that to buy a new pair (my current efforts are a bit destroyed)... buying new here requires you to sell a couple of children thanks to the insane import taxes.

My only requirements are that they're full fingere. Anyone got any decent recommendations?

Thanks
Formally known as Coatbridgeguy

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Personally I have Fox digits (I think that's what they are called) and they have lasted pretty well, fit well and are comfortable. I will probably go for some new Fox gloves soon as the old ones are wearing thin in places.

I dislike every pair of Dakine gloves I have tried on - something to do with the seems in the fingers ad a weird sizing.

Seen and tried on some Hestras recently that looked good quality but the sizing was a bit odd again.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I believe mittens are good for morons, as they struggle with finger co-ordination.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Stay away from Endura, mine fell apart. All my 661 gloves have lasted well though.
    That's pretty much all I have to add, I've never had proper winter gloves.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Never found any decent gloves that could last a British winter on their own.

However, some waterproof liners and most three season gloves work fine. I use Pearl Izumi Gavias. 5 years old and going strong.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Personally I have Fox digits (I think that's what they are called) and they have lasted pretty well, fit well and are comfortable. I will probably go for some new Fox gloves soon as the old ones are wearing thin in places.

I dislike every pair of Dakine gloves I have tried on - something to do with the seems in the fingers ad a weird sizing.

Seen and tried on some Hestras recently that looked good quality but the sizing was a bit odd again.

Hehehe, so far, the only brand that actually fit me properly is Dakine. :lol:

I do have odd sized fingers though. Long and thin (no, not like my obvious, that's short and thin).
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    edited July 2012
    cooldad wrote:
    I believe mittens are good for morons, as they struggle with finger co-ordination.

:?:
    Boardman comp 2012
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I bought a pair of 661 Storms and they are pretty good, fit well and seem to keep most of the cold and wet out.
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    I suppose I should add that my winter is more like British spring (with one or two cold spikes). Will search a few of these brands and compare prices.

Ta much
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068

I do have odd sized fingers though. Long and thin (no, not like my obvious, that's short and thin).

I had a pair of Dakine ski mitts and another pair of ski gloves which were awesome but a pair of park gloves were awful and their bike gloves seem to fit the same as those for me. Quality seems good just not the fit.

I used spesh gloves for a while they were good quality and fit too - I still have a pair of winter gloves which are comfortable and warmish.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740

You'd probably be ok with Endura as well then.
  • bazza333
    bazza333 Posts: 86
    Wot about MECHANIX WEAR ORIGINAL's

http://valveandbalance.com/1032-mechanix-gloves
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb Posts: 111
    i bought a pair of lizard skin charger full finger gloves from the mighty ebay. 12 quid. happy days.
    i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    edited July 2012
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Stay away from Endura, mine fell apart. All my 661 gloves have lasted well though

I've had 2 pairs of 661 gloves fall apart in a couple of months, didn't stop be buying another pair of them and to be fair they lasted well.

In winter I use a pair of winter sailing gloves though, used to use them to sail all through the winter and they kept my hands warm then, even when they were soaked. Work wonders out on the bike too.

Edit. Think it's 661 858s I've got, had them since January and they'e still fine. Wouldn't advise them as winter gloves though, very vented and meshy in places.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... love-ss11/
    I have worn them all winter right up to now. They are comfortable & warm but never sem to get too warm and they are reasonably waterproof.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I got some Louis Garneau ones when they were cheap at Evans (do they have a Montevideo branch..... :wink: )

Can't remember the model but they're two gloves in one, a weatherproof outer with a warm removeable liner glove. Much nicer than my Endura Dexters (?).
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Loved the Dakine gloves i have owned they fir well and survive.

The 661 raja gloves i had went 1-2 rides and fell apart so wwouldn't go that camp again. thats all i can really add