Eating - stop or during?

thecryof
thecryof Posts: 31
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I'm not the kind to stop, unless I have too of course. But does it make any difference if you stop to eat a quick snack or slowly eat it during the ride? How do you guys/girls go about it?
2011 Giant Defy 3

Comments

• Sussed out
    Sussed out Posts: 189
    During... Cram it in if it's a race
    Stop and eat... If you're out for a nice ride with then why not stop and have a breather and a snack
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    During. Do runners and swimmers stop for a cake and a cup of tea halfway through a session.... no, it's not a ball game.
  • Not sure that swimmers eat much on the go either!
  • Bozman
    Not sure that swimmers eat much on the go either!
    True, poor choice
  • Blancmange
    Blancmange Posts: 103
    Not sure that swimmers eat much on the go either!

There's other peoples snot, scabs, smegma, etc. Nutritious Elastoplasts to chew on. And plenty of
    pissy water to drink, too. :mrgreen:
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    do people wee in the water? (shock horror)
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    During. Period.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    It all depends what you are doing, if you are racing then during.

If training then many of the pro's will stop and have a coffee together.

If you are just riding for pleasure then why not.

For me a Cake Stop is the most enjoyable bit for me when the ride has been hard!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I don't stop either, during!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Bozman wrote:
    During. Do runners and swimmers stop for a cake and a cup of tea halfway through a session.... no, it's not a ball game.

They probably would if they were out for a 5 hour plus run/swim.
    More problems but still living....
  • Bozman
    Personal opinion - 5hrs or 2hrs it makes no difference, it's like claiming to have done a 100 mile ride in 5hrs but you stop for 45mins in the middle to recharge your batteries etc, then you subtract that stop from your total time, that just doesn't seem right.
    Everyone to their own, maybe i'm just an anti-social sod.
  • djfleming22
    djfleming22 Posts: 116
    I think it should be your choice you not doing the Tour de France .... i always say do what you want to do if you want to stop just do it take in the scenery have a cake and coffee .... if your trying to beat your last ride well that's fine too you know how you feel being out on a ride .... to me, everybody is different is that it is your choice and don't beat yourself up about it .... just enjoy yourself
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have no problem with people stopping to take on food but I personally have a problem getting going again if I do stop - seems to intefere with my rythm.

I am not really at the stage where fuelling on the go is essential but I wonder how peole go about it - seems a little tricky unwrapping stuff etc on the go.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Bozman wrote:
    Personal opinion - 5hrs or 2hrs it makes no difference, it's like claiming to have done a 100 mile ride in 5hrs but you stop for 45mins in the middle to recharge your batteries etc, then you subtract that stop from your total time, that just doesn't seem right.
    Everyone to their own, maybe i'm just an anti-social sod.

I thought we were talking about stopping for a minute to eat a sandwich or something, not a pub lunch.
    More problems but still living....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I guess this is another "it depends" response. If I am doing a 3 or 4 hour hard training ride then I will stuff my back pockets with food after slightly cutting the wrappings to make it easier to unwrap on the go (bananas are great but one can get fed up of them). Club ride? Then cake stop is mandatory and very enjoyable although I do need to eat on the go too (no stopping the group for flapjack breaks!) so it is a good knack to acquire. Just simply riding for enjoyment? Whatever floats my boat.

Oh, and total time is the only time that matters, not that it matters :)