Bike makes very loud ticking noise when freewheeling...

MTB-Rich
MTB-Rich Posts: 58
edited July 2012 in MTB beginners
My girlfriend has bought an awesomely specced new bike for £500... however when freewheeling it makes the loudest ticking noise i've ever heard on a bike. I know all bikes do this to varying degrees, but this is really, really loud and actually very annoying.

Specs (that I think may be relevant to this issue) are:
    SLX Hubs Shimano XT Rear Derailleur DT Swiss 435 Rims

Question: what exactly causes the ticking noise when freewheeling, and is there any way of reducing it so that it doesn't send her completely batty? :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some hubs do this - simply the pawls/ratchet doing their thing. Nothing you can do for SLX hubs.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    MTB-Rich wrote:
    is there any way of reducing it so that it doesn't send her completely batty? :)

Pedal more? :D
    In all seriousness though some hubs are just louder than others. I like a noisy freewheel myself!
  • MTB-Rich
    supersonic wrote:
    Some hubs do this - simply the pawls/ratchet doing their thing. Nothing you can do for SLX hubs.

Ahhh... damn it she will be a bit sad to hear that. It really is noticeably loud, almost unusually so to my ear. My poor testes. :(
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it will change will use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MTB-Rich
    nicklouse wrote:
    it will change will use.

Do you mean it will quieten down the more it is used?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe it's karma, she gets driven nuts by the ticking, you by her nagging.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Go buy some nice quiet Hopes and come back to let us know how you got on :P
  • Oddly when i got my wheels i was distraught at the rear hub clicking. Now a couple of months on and the clicking is twice as loud, i have grown to love the noise!
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    My OH has really noisy hubs on his Whyte- and its great, I dont have to look to see where he is if I think I may have left him behind- so long as I hear the noise he is there!
    Plus he cant creep up on me from behind on down hill sections!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    My Saint rear hub had an almost silent purr when it was new, but I've since had to replace the freehub and it now sadly sounds like any other (non-hope etc) freehub. Gutted.
    I miss being able to sneak up on my pray on wheels. Now I have to run after them instead.
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    Beats a bell when having to ask walkers if you can get past.......
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    SLX hubs aren't normally so loud. She's not gone and put Spokey Dokeys on has she??
  • MTB-Rich
    FunBus wrote:
    SLX hubs aren't normally so loud. She's not gone and put Spokey Dokeys on has she??

No, and please erase all trace of your post form the interwebs lest she read it and decide they are a good idea. :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Spokey Dokeys ARE a good idea.
  • I love the sound of clickey hub! I knew a guy who once sent a hope hub back asking if they could make it click louder.
    Blood, Sweat and 21 Gears...wait...no 27....30...arse 2x10?

Specialized Hardrock, 1997 Marin Nail Trail - current
    Giant Glory Merlin Malt 2 Big Hit Expert Marin B-17 Marin Nail Trail Diamondback Topanga - Gone but not forgotten
  • MTB-Rich
    I love the sound of clickey hub! I knew a guy who once sent a hope hub back asking if they could make it click louder.

But what if want to go into Batman stealth mode to avoid potential pursuers? Eh? EH?
  • i think that in that situation batman would screw stealth turn round and go after the pursuers, imagine the terror as they run but every time they stop to catch breath all they can hear is the clicking getting louder and louder.........before you know they will be soiling there grundies and handing themselves over for police brutality!
    Blood, Sweat and 21 Gears...wait...no 27....30...arse 2x10?

Specialized Hardrock, 1997 Marin Nail Trail - current
    Giant Glory Merlin Malt 2 Big Hit Expert Marin B-17 Marin Nail Trail Diamondback Topanga - Gone but not forgotten
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only time Batman needed stealth mode was when he was creeping up on Robin. Then he discovered rohypnol.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools