Should I commute?

Graeme Jones
Graeme Jones Posts: 361
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
Hi All

Recently got in to cycling. I bought a Giant Defy 3 about 2 months ago now and have been toying with the idea of commuting to work maybe a couple of days a week to start. As I want to get the miles in without being out every night with the wife and my new born at home.

I work 12miles away so 24mile round trip. I have been doing around 30 miles on my rides out holding 14mph through quite hilly roads my most recent ride was 30 mile with 914ft of elevation so not too bad. So hopefully fitness won't be an issue.

I know I am fit enough to do it but unsure as what to expect from a double ride in one day?

Things I am unsure of is diet what to eat before coming back as my breakfasts and lunch are pretty solid.Should I eat something at 3-4pm before leaving at 5pm?

What will I need to take I have the following-
Drink bottle
Saddle bag including 2 tubes, multi tool, tyre lever- I phone for strava lol.
Back pack with change of clothes+underwear and socks, towel, deo spray, hair styling product(double lol)
Lunch decent carb based meal to get energy up for ride home.

Any other considerations needed?

I am a bit concerned about getting laughed at in the shorts but I don't give a fook to be fair.It will only be the childish staff that may say something.

Cheers Graeme

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Shouldn't be too much of a problem for you. Maybe a bit knackering for the first few weeks if you're unaccustomed to daily riding.

Don't over think the food; a decent breakfast will get you there and as long as you have a decent lunch and maybe a banana or something shortly before you leave you'll be fine getting home (I quite often forget/don't have anything to hand before my 16 miles home and it's not a big deal). Some chocolate milk when you get home to aid recovery might help. Some would say this is overkill considering the distance although I found it helped when I first started (now I only tend to bother Thurs/Fri when I'm starting to really feel it in my legs).

Short answer: yeah, go for it!
  • Graeme Jones
    Cheers mate. I don't know what I am waiting for.
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    Hello Graeme. I was like you few months ago but my commute to work is 16 miles each way and my fitness was really poor to begin with. I did hardly any cycling and being at 16stone I was sure to suffer. From what you mentioned about your fitness you really shouldn't have a problem. It's great once you do it though. I was a little worried about opinions from other peeps from the office but when I think of how much I've saved getting in to work it really doesn't bother me.

Just do it mate. I do it three times a week now, started at 2, and I started at 1hr 40 minutes each way and now I can do it in 1hr5mins. That's after a month. The money you save on petrol can go on buying some really nice stuff for your little'un (Congrats on baby by the way).

I usually don't hAe Nything in the morning apart from a big glass of water, once I'm in work I have porridge, couple of banans and almond nuts to snack on. About an hour before I go home I usually have another couple of banana's, flap jack and a nice strong black coffee. You get a great sense of achievement once you've got home after cycling.
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    That was the question I initially had, and mine is 21 miles each way. Now I do it a couple of times a week, and I'm really enjoying it. Really wish I'd started doing it years ago!

I waited until I could manage the full commute, ie. there and back, in a single journey before I attempted it for real. A weekend dummy run isn't a bad idea either. I find that having several hours at work allows plenty time to recover enough before the return journey.

As for food, I usually just have a banana, or cereal bar, or porridge - and a large glass of water, before I leave ... and another banana and water before I leave for home. It's worth keeping something edible in your saddle bag, just in case you need it - but at 12 miles that's unlikely I'd say.

If you have an alternative mode of transport to your work, then I'd start off by doing it three days to begin way, e.g. mon/wed/fri ... and if practical keep a change of clothes in work, or take what you'll need for the week in on the monday - no point taking all you're kit everyday.

The essentials I take are :
    - two water bottles, one just with water and the other either with energy drink (e.g. lucozade) or High5 Zero tablet.
    - Mini Pump
    - Saddle bag containing : two inner tubes, puncture repair kit, multi-tool, a couple of energy gels, iPhone, british cycling membership card, ID, and some money just in case something un-repairable happens or need to buy extra water / food (more for the weekend rides).

What I would say though is that it's a good idea to wrap your spare tubes in something, e.g. old sock, to stop them directly rubbing against other items in your saddle bag. I've had this happen before.

The biggest thing I've found that tires me out on my commute is chasing Strava segments, of which there are a few on my route ...
  • Graeme Jones
    Thanks for the words of support guys and the congrats on the little man. I generally use £100 in petrol a month and if I can half that then its a bit of money in my pocket! If the weather isn't threatening a major down poor I will go for it. I don't mind a bit of rain but not the dangerous downpours that we have had recently. My bag is packed and tuesday I will take a few outfits in the car so the bag is lighter as every little helps.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited July 2012
    I answered the same in a question about doing a 60 mile sportiv the other day so excuse the repetition.

12 miles is well under an hour at a gentle pace. You could blitz in about 30 minutes if you had the urge but that would be daft. 15mph avg will be under 50 minutes, easy. Then you have a day at work before you do another easy 50 minutes ride back home.

It sounds and feels like a huge thing first few times you do it, but it really is a non-event in terms of physical effort, esp once you've done it half a dozen times. A decent breakfast, sensible lunch and a few cups of tea & coffee will see you right. Take enough clean clothes on days you drive in and leave them in a cupboard or similar to make the ride easier.

I do 21 miles 2 - 3 times a week and there's no difference in food intake on cycling days compared to driving days. it used to be a major event setting off to ride that far to work, now the first 3 or 4 miles are gone whilst I'm sorting the day out in my head. Do it, but enjoy it. It's the best way of starting and ending the working day.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Depends what your job is, if it's early start or late finish and physically hard work all day I wouldn't want to be cycling 2 hours a day.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • CiB
    Depends what your job is, if it's early start or late finish and physically hard work all day I wouldn't want to be cycling 2 hours a day.
    I would. There's not much better than starting & ending the working day with a decent bike ride. Under one hour each way ain't much, certainly not enough to leave you shagged out for what's left of the day.
  • father_jack
    On some days after a tiring days work (and if you do overtime) I just want to get home and sit down, sometime wouldn't have energy in it. If your job is walking miles every day and lifting heavy bags and boxes all day.

If you're working in a office? Sure you'll be sitting not physically demanding so 1 hour each way is no problem.
  • CiB
    But like I said, a 50 minute bike ride at a bit of an ambling pace has to be better than 20 minutes in the car. 12 miles isn't even a ride at the weekend; just because it happens to be at either end of a shift doesn't make it a stage of the TdF. Have a go at it OP and tell us how you get on.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I find an hour each way on the bike is a really nice way to bookend my day. Get the blood flowing and think about the day ahead on the way in and then wind down and clear my head on the way back.

I do have a sedentary job though.
  • Graeme Jones
    Good effort this morning 12 mile in 40 mins. Av speed 16 mph. Thanks to the chap who gave me abuse for going through a red just before it changed, I slowed almost to a stop and since it was so early in the morning there wasn't anyone coming, yes a little naughty and yes this is a hot topic I would never do it when busy traffic. It was funny when he crunched his gears trying to pull away in anger. Why dont people just mind there own. I loved the fact he said I'm a cyclist you dick head you give us a bad name. Other than that a bit wet and looking forward to journey back at 5
  • father_jack
    you should never go through red light, whether it's busy or not.
  • ...yes a little naughty and yes this is a hot topic I would never do it when busy traffic.
    Why dont people just mind there own. I loved the fact he said I'm a cyclist you dick head you give us a bad name.

You won't want to hear it, but he was right. And is probably on here, writing something in the Rants topic as I type. Don't get into bad habits now.
    Was ok today, but on another day you will be half asleep and won't notice the car driver, coming the other way, who is thinking the same as you as the lights turn red.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • father_jack
    yeah 1 tonne metal versus 10 lb metal and a human. Only one winner.
  • Graeme Jones
    I acknowledge he his right. It's more the aggressive nature that's unnecessary. I stopes at the other19 sets just not this one as I saw the lights change the other direction and knew it was my direction next. In future I will stop completely as it is safest for me which is the most important and I want to enjoy the ride not have idiots shouting at me from a car
  • Graeme Jones
    So the journey home was more pleasant weather wise with no rain thankfully. I behaved myself at the lights and enjoyed the breather and still only 5 mins slower returning with double the gradient. Happy with effort today 22 miles ridden and home for tea with the wife , so win win really. Thumbs up to all the commuters!
  • You'll get used to the unwarranted aggression and idiocy. It took me a year, but it still winds me up.
    When I'm commuting it is from van drivers. When I'm on my MTB it is from dog walkers/joggers.
    The difference now is that I don't chase them down the road brandishing my pump like a club, and I don't empty the contents of my water bottle into open car windows anymore.

Now I always assume that everyone else on the road/bridleway/trail is an idiot and cycle accordingly. It's the safest way to cycle.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Hi
    I'd go for it. Maybe 3 days a week for the first 3 or 4 weeks then up to 5 days. You'll get faster.
    Cheers
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Same length commute as mine. I've been doing it for a couple of months now and it's absolutely fine. In fact, the only reason I can think of for not doing it is if you don't have showers at work. I have a coffee in bed while I'm waking up, on the road at 7.30 ish, in the office by 8.30 even without trying (traffic is pretty busy on my route and I take my time and make sure I'm being seen), grab the rucksack from under the desk, hop in the shower, back at my desk with coffee #2 in hand, fresh as a daisy by 8.45.

Compare that to leaving at 7.30, ten mins walk to the tube, stand around for a bit, cram into the tube for 35-40 mins getting hot and sticky and dozy, ten mins walk to the office during which I get mildly out of breath (I'm incapable of walking slowly). At my desk about 8.45, grumpy, sticky, and still dozy.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Graeme Jones
    Going to have another go tomorrow the bike is in for it's free 6 week service on Thursday and won't have it back intolerable weekend so want to get another ride in this week! Then 2 weeks annual leave to enjoy!
  • fill_uk
    fill_uk Posts: 52
    I do the same distance as you 4 times a week. It takes about 50 minutes to an hour depending on direction (more uphill coming home)

In terms of food i eat breakfast before leaving, porridge and raisins made with cold milk to save time. I also swim most mornings as well which leaves me hungry afterwards so i get something when i get to work, usually toast with peanut butter. A light lunch and then a banana and malt loaf about and hour before leaving. As its only an hour i dont take drinks on the bike which for me has been fine even on hot days. Im not suggesting that works for everyone though dont risk not carrying water if you think you will need it.

Kit wise i carry pump, spare tube, multi tool, shirt and underwear and locks. I'd try to carry as little as possible, can you leave toiletries and some clothes at work? i leave deodrants etc and my suit and shoes at work and only bring a shirt each day but im able to drop off/take away stuff on the weekend. Depends what you wear for work and the practicalities, i know some users on here carry multiple changes on one day and travel light the rest of the week. Can you leave a lock at work to secure your bike as mine is by far the heaviest thing i carry unfortunatly i have to due to the swimming.

I was worried about getting laughed at so i wore baggy stuff at first and nobody said anything, i was even more worried when i decided to start wearing lycra especially as i work in a school and have to walk past a canteen full of teenagers and nothing has been said. Having said that by the time i get to the office im dying from holding my breath to hold in the gut.

Only other thing i can think of is how tiring would cycling be with a newborn in the house as it is tiring at first, my youngest was still getting up in the night when i started and i found that hard.

Hope some of this helps.
  • Graeme Jones
    Left some clothes in work so I only need to take food and toiletries. My bag felt about 7kg if not more yesterday which lead to a sweaty back so hopefully less so tomorrow. Praying for this weather to buck up then I'm flying
  • fill_uk
    fill_uk Posts: 52
    I went to panniers after a few weeks, I didn't like carrying a rucsack for that reason some dont like them but I love mine. There are some rucsacks you can get that allow airflow, someone on here would be able to fill you in on them no doubt, if you wanted one.

This weather sucks, good prep for winter though.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    fill_uk wrote:
    I went to panniers after a few weeks, I didn't like carrying a rucsack for that reason some dont like them but I love mine. There are some rucsacks you can get that allow airflow, someone on here would be able to fill you in on them no doubt, if you wanted one.

This weather sucks, good prep for winter though.
    Yep, rucksacks are horrible. I moved to a saddlebag (nice Carradice one). Surprisingly roomy, but then I do leave as much as I can at work, including my spare set of glasses.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm fine with my Alpkit Gourdon. The waterproofness is worth having a sweaty back on the 3 hot days we might get each year. :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Graeme Jones
    Commuted today before the bike gets a service and didn't want to go too long without a ride. Starvation paused half way there! Which is disappointing but I think I knocked about 5 mins off. The way home was tough with strong headwinds adding nearly 10 mins on!
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    It happens.

It's not a race, even if you're five minutes slower you're still having a nice ride.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb Posts: 111
    My commute is about 6.5 miles which takes 20 -30 mins dependant on traffic. Its saved me so much money on bus fares my bike has pretty much paid for itself already and I've only been commuting for about 2 months
    i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Azhar wrote:
    Hello Graeme. I was like you few months ago but my commute to work is 16 miles each way and my fitness was really poor to begin with. I did hardly any cycling and being at 16stone I was sure to suffer. From what you mentioned about your fitness you really shouldn't have a problem. It's great once you do it though. I was a little worried about opinions from other peeps from the office but when I think of how much I've saved getting in to work it really doesn't bother me.

Just do it mate. I do it three times a week now, started at 2, and I started at 1hr 40 minutes each way and now I can do it in 1hr5mins. That's after a month. The money you save on petrol can go on buying some really nice stuff for your little'un (Congrats on baby by the way).

I usually don't hAe Nything in the morning apart from a big glass of water, once I'm in work I have porridge, couple of banans and almond nuts to snack on. About an hour before I go home I usually have another couple of banana's, flap jack and a nice strong black coffee. You get a great sense of achievement once you've got home after cycling.
    I was wondering how you got on. Sounds like you're doing ok :D