Avid Elixir 7 Levers - Where to buy?

Curious Yellow
Curious Yellow Posts: 281
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking for one of these. Don't mind whether they're Avid or aftermarket ones (I hear Straitline do a good pair for the CRs, but not sure if they'll fit the Elixirs).

Any suggestions please? I've looked on CRC, Evans, and a few other places, but no mention of a specific replacement for the 7s. Google and the SRAM website have not been very helpful either.

Thanks.

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    That's for a juicy, hence why it says "avid juicy" on there...

Did you really try googling it? First thing that came up when i searched "avid elixir lever blade" was this

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the lever blade is the same down all of the models, just a different colour (Except the CR, but even then it will probably fit anyway).
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    okay bud no need to get funny, looks like youve already found and solved your problem then.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Who's getting funny with who?
  • You're a lifesaver! I was searching for Avid Elixir Brake Lever which didn't turn much up. Thanks mate.
  • ilovedirt
    Quick tip - when you search for just "lever", it'll often come up with the whole lever assembly. I'm assuming you just wanted the blade (the bit you pull on).

Have you actually snapped it? I've bent avid lever blades before and just bent them back with an adjustable spanner.

Another quick tip - when fastening your brake levers to your bars, it's usually worth not doing them up too tight (same with the shifters). Do them up tight enough that they won't move under normal usage, but loose enough that if you were to crash, the shifter/lever will just move around the bar, rather than actually bend/snap. Could save you a few quid and ruined rides.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I've been told that before. You're not the guy from Mountaintrax who has a shop in Afan are you? I thought I had them loose enough, but I stacked it travelling pretty fast.

Yeah, they're bent enough so they're not in line for me to reach them comfortably now. Almost an offset brake lever now! Would rather replace them. I get free fettling from my LBS so I can see what they can do first re bending them back in place. Just a bit worried I'll mess up the cylinder on the brake.
  • ilovedirt
    Lol no that's not me.
    It's easy enough to do with a spanner tbh, 5 second job. You'll not mess anything up as long as you're not being daft.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Any advice on how to remove the brake lever blade? I had a go today, but either I'm not winding the reach adjust screw out far enough, or there's something I'm missing here.
  • ilovedirt
    Never tried mate. Google it?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Seems you need a special tool of some sort. It costs about £20 on its own. Perhaps the LBS will have it. Oh well.

Tool description and the method of removal can be found here if anyone's interested.

http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files ... manual.pdf

To be honest, a video would be 100 times better.