180 mm rotor?

dflash
dflash Posts: 32
edited July 2012 in MTB general
I have a 2012 specialzied hardrock sport disc with tektro deaco hydraulic brakes with 160mm front and rear rotors.
Now I want to change the rotors to 180mm. So what do you think should I change both rotors or just the front( rear) rotor or I should change them at all?
I checked online if the fork has an option for 180mm (the sr suntour xcm mlo 80mm has an option for 180mm rotor)
and the tektro draco brakes can support 180mm and 203mm rotor.
Anyway if I change the rotors what will I get?More brake power?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just the front.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why do you want to change if you don't know what you are doing it for.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Just the front, 180 on the back is way overkill.

You will get a bit more power and you wont overheat quite so much if you are doing a long downhill. The downsides, you will get a bit less feel it will be a bit more of an on/off switch, the 180 disc is a bit more prone to warping and is a bit more prone to getting bent in the general rough and tumble of mountain biking.

Overall if you weigh more than about 10 stone dripping wet its a nice upgrade but not an essential one.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    It won't really affect braking power. It will help stop brake fade from the rotor heating up on long descents. And front only if you do upgrade it.

+1 for chunkers.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Greer_ wrote:
    It won't really affect braking power.
    yes it will.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Greer_ wrote:
    It won't really affect braking power.
    Yes it will, more leverage against the hub. It's exactly the same reason your gears allow you to put more/less power to the rear wheel.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    In greers defence, I think he meant the rear. Yes it would be more powerful, but on the rear it is more limited by traction.