Complete novice would like some help!

Bullbag85
Bullbag85 Posts: 8
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all, I'm completely new to road bikes and would like to give it a go, I'm looking at doing a charity bike ride next year. I have a very limited budget (of £200) and really need some help on what bikes to look out for and what ones to avoid. I get the impression that a second hand bike for my budget would be a much wiser buy than a new bike at that price. Any help for a newbie would be much appreciated.

Comments

• finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    Hi
    For your budget second hand would be good if you can get a decent bike but for £299, have a look at the Decathlon Triban 3. I am more than happy with mine. Seems really good value, is a good weight, has a carbon fork and Shimano group.
    Check it out and good luck.
    Careful though, this roadie lark is addictive.
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • mikeouk
    mikeouk Posts: 148
    Bullbag85 wrote:
    Hi all, I'm completely new to road bikes and would like to give it a go, I'm looking at doing a charity bike ride next year. I have a very limited budget (of £200) and really need some help on what bikes to look out for and what ones to avoid. I get the impression that a second hand bike for my budget would be a much wiser buy than a new bike at that price. Any help for a newbie would be much appreciated.

dont buy a new bike at £200, it will be rubbish.

i second the triban at £300, cheapest new road bike with carbon forks. They come up on ebay second hand so might pick one up for £200. Dont buy a bike that doesnt fit properly just because its cheap, thats a massive false economy.
    Look for decent brand, giant, trek, etc, dont buy something like a viking etc that fit in that price range.
    If i was you id beg borrow or steal the extra £100, go to a decathlon store, try out the triban for fit and get the right size bike with a warranty and the knowlage that you wont have to spend any more on it for the time being.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Have a look on ebay / gumtree and you might get a bargain, but 200 is pushing it. Go for one of the main brands and get a bike savvy friend to come and have a look when you buy it.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • thecryof
    thecryof Posts: 31
    Try to extend your budget. A really cheap bike will more than likely have a cheap groupset which means the indexing for your gears will never be "precise" and will drive you bananas when you need to use a certain gear because it won't go in correctly. Keep this in mind.
    2011 Giant Defy 3
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    thecryof wrote:
    Try to extend your budget. A really cheap bike will more than likely have a cheap groupset which means the indexing for your gears will never be "precise" and will drive you bananas when you need to use a certain gear because it won't go in correctly. Keep this in mind.

I agree in theory with what you say. I have XT and SRAM X9 on my other bikes and the Triban 3 has Shimano 2300. The more expensive group sets are certainly smoother but in all honesty I couldn't say I am unhappy at all with the 2300. It indexes well and keeps it's settings. I don't think it is a deal breaker for the Triban 3. Basically it does what it say on the tin and does it well.
    This feels a great bike for the budget, punching well above it's weight IMHO.
    Try one if you can. I'm so happy with mine that I will probably get one for my son too.
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I got a Viking Giro D'Italia for £200 new. It's pretty decent, but is really heavy and doesn't have very good quality components. I did 70 miles on it yesterday and I could keep up with a couple of guys on a Cube Aerial and a Giant Defy 2. I would recommend getting something a little more expensive though, even just to save a bit of weight.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If you go for a used bike, get one that was mid-upper range when new. Look for a major brand with a minimum groupset grade of "Tiagra". Make sure that the transmission is no totally worn out. Avoid fancy wheels with special spokes that are impossible to buy for replacement. Consider the gearing that you need for charity rides and fitness. You dont need high racing gears but you often need lower gears on your steepest climb at the end of your hardest day. A "compact double" or "triple" chainset is useful.
    If you are using the bike for all weather training or commuting, consider a road bike with the threaded eyelets that you need for bolt-on mudguards and a rear lugagge rack (ie most general purpose, entry level road bikes like Specialized Allez)
    Get the right size
    Budget for some replacement bits as well as all your kit.

If you are going to commute by bike, you can make massive savings in your transport budget which can be transferred to your leisure/sport budget.
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I've just started on a road bike and picked up an old Raleigh from someone at work.

Might be worth posting on facebook or asking at work, see if anyone know's someone with a bike thats not being used and make them an offer.
  • Bullbag85
    Thanks for all the help guys, I'm now trying to beg/borrow/steal another few quid! I think I could maybe push the £700 mark. I have had a look online and like the look of the specialized Allez sport, and the cube petolon. But honestly, as I'm a complete noob, I hav'nt got much of a clue about road bikes! I've always had mtb's since a kid, then two years ago I decided to get a hybrid (giant crs 4). I really like the bike but it does get uncomfortable after a bit. I'm hoping a road bike will be easier to do longer rides, which in turn will get me out more. :D
  • declan1
    Bullbag85 wrote:
    Thanks for all the help guys, I'm now trying to beg/borrow/steal another few quid! I think I could maybe push the £700 mark. I have had a look online and like the look of the specialized Allez sport, and the cube petolon. But honestly, as I'm a complete noob, I hav'nt got much of a clue about road bikes! I've always had mtb's since a kid, then two years ago I decided to get a hybrid (giant crs 4). I really like the bike but it does get uncomfortable after a bit. I'm hoping a road bike will be easier to do longer rides, which in turn will get me out more. :D

The Cube Peloton looks good. It's the updated version of my friend's bike, which is also awesome.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Bullbag85
    My local bike shop has a range giant bikes, either a giant defy 4 or 5 in my price range. Has anyone got one of these, or had any experience with one?
    Cheers
    P.s I'd much rather get one at a bike shop so I can get properly fitted than buy online, even if I do end up paying a little bit more.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    You're quite right to go to a bike shop and get a bike that fits properly. They'll often do a half decent discount especially if you buy a few items with the bike.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Have you looked at cycle to work schemes? Although the benefit is not what it once was you might be able to get a bike a bit cheaper.
  • declan1
    Bullbag85 wrote:
    My local bike shop has a range giant bikes, either a giant defy 4 or 5 in my price range. Has anyone got one of these, or had any experience with one?
    Cheers
    P.s I'd much rather get one at a bike shop so I can get properly fitted than buy online, even if I do end up paying a little bit more.

I've tried a Giant Defy 2. I didn't like the handlebars (personal preference), but the saddle was really nice, plus it was nice and lightweight. Good components too.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Bullbag85
    ive now got the choice of:
    giant defy 3,4 or 5
    specialized allez sport 2013
    orbea aqua t23
    has anybody got any info on the orbea? cant find many reviews on t'internet.
    cheers all :D
  • Bullbag85
    I finally got round to buying my new bike today. I tried the giant defy 3, orbea aqua t23 and the specialized Allez sport. After having a little go on all 3 I thought the specialized stood out in the fit/comfort aspect. I decided to go for the Allez, and to my surprise found it was on offer for £599 as it was a 2012 model, get in!!

It's quite gutting to look at my new bike in the hallway, then look out the window at the torrential rain! Hopefully the weather will be slightly better tomorrow so I can get out on the bike. Come on mr sunshine, I'm itching to put a few miles on my baby!