Getting a group together to go riding

TheEnglishman
TheEnglishman Posts: 587
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Is it worthwhile trying to find a pile of similarly interested people in my local area together to ride together? I'm not looking for a club kind of thing (all my local clubs are heavily into racing) more a gathering/sharing of local info on an informal basis. What with social media etc these days would there be interest?

Would you participate in a facebook/twitter/jabber/what have you group you'd be interested in advertising local 'I'm off on on a 10 miler/1 hour or whatever ride - anyone interested? kind of thing

Or do people just want to do their own thing in case the other person(s) is too slow/fast/ugly/shifty? I do see people doing similar routes to me - I've shouted hello to people on the way out and the way beck a number of times, so we're doing the same approximate routes - surely there's interest?

Maybe I'm just lonely/sad/slow/ugly?

Comments

• pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Have you looked at any clubs local to you?

My problem is with child care, I am just not reliable enough to make any regular rides.

Someone on Strava has made an invite, so when I get more reliable that will be the club I try first.

But even with friends that I ride with, times can and routes can change from week to week depending on family commitments.

I am sure you would be better off joining a club, wear the club jersey, then everyone you see would know where to go.
  • pipipi wrote:
    My problem is with ... care, I am just not reliable enough to make any regular rides.

That's exactly my problem. I'm a carer and can't really do regular things. But if I get a moment I could pop out and it'd be nice to know if others could pop out at the same time.

There's got to be some sort of thing whereby you can 'ping' a message to a load of subscribers saying 'I'm out for an hour this evening at 7 - anyone fancy coming?' A friend has that in his online game - I just wondered if there was a cycling equivalent.

Cycling's a hugely popular sport/hobby right now - there has to be a way to hook people up that doesn't come with all the baggage that something like Facebook brings with it.
  • Hey Englishman, it would be useful if you state whereabouts you are then if there is anyone in your area they can reply, if you are near me then I would gladly join you as I am in the same situation, the local groups all do 40 plus miles which is way above my level at the moment !!
    Basingstoke boy !
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Look at the meetup groups, such as these
    http://www.meetup.com/Cycling-Group/events/70694062/
    http://www.meetup.com/RichmondPark/

If there isn't one in your area you can always start one
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Have a look at this: http://www.cyclingbuddy.com/
    I seem to remember someone on here set it up a while back (might be wrong though). It might be exactlyy what you're looking for ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • freezing77 wrote:

213 Naked Male Masseurs

Errm - not quite what I had in mind. But thanks.
  • I could imagine myself doing that maybe once as I am curious to see what it's like to ride in a group. All my riding has been solo and I have just worked away at my own pace gradualy building up speed and distance over four years or so. I am now averaging about 30 miles + per ride and 15.2-5 mph - this is a big big improvement for me but I reckon I could never ride with a club so what you suggest might work for people like me. That said I can well imagine doing it once and then never again as my 15mph mean is I suspect pretty wierd as it's made up of 20pmh+ on the flat and about 6mph (or less) on any gradient over 5-6 % :!: Old and fat but love my cycling. Maybe I need to start the SRAM Apex/Tiagra Triple 34-32 club :?:

Anyway re your first post - I think you have to say what area you are talking about to get any decent feedback.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    freezing77 wrote:

213 Naked Male Masseurs

Errm - not quite what I had in mind. But thanks.

What exactly were your search criteria?
  • I clicked 'Find a Meetup Group' at the top of the web page and this was the first hit:-

massage.png

:oops:
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    We set up a local group. Many of us have young kids so we set off at 0700 on a Sat morning for a few hours. Having a set time makes it work well. Sometimes there 6 of us sometimes 2. Other rides are organised via email and text.

It is worth trying to setup.
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I want to do something like this. I'm in the Nottingham area if anyone sees this and wants to go for a ride.

I've joined Beeston CC but am waiting for my membership to be approved.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    There are a few of us around the Notts, Derby, Loughborough area and there is also Coalville Wheelers, Derby Mercury and Long Eaton clubs.

You could also see the 'Other newbs in Loughbourough area' post as there a 4 or 5 people on there (some have never made it though).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Don't go cycling with smidsy, he smells

:)
  • Navrig wrote:
    We set up a local group. Many of us have young kids so we set off at 0700 on a Sat morning for a few hours. Having a set time makes it work well. Sometimes there 6 of us sometimes 2. Other rides are organised via email and text.

It is worth trying to setup.

On meetup.com or cyclingbuddy? Or something else? (Please not facebook)
  • smidsy
    Don't go cycling with smidsy, he smells

:)

Thanks Jim - I'm going out later for a blast if you are game - nose peg optional
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • daveski12
    edited July 2012
    smidsy wrote:
    There are a few of us around the Notts, Derby, Loughborough area and there is also Coalville Wheelers, Derby Mercury and Long Eaton clubs.

You could also see the 'Other newbs in Loughbourough area' post as there a 4 or 5 people on there (some have never made it though).

Where do you normally ride? I work close to Loughborough.

I've also signed up to cycling buddy and sent a few emails, see if I can meet anyone.
  • smidsy
    Quite a wide remit really.

Often around Belton, Diseworth, Kegworth, Gotham, East and West Leake. Even been known to go out Ashbourne way.

If I am forced to I sometimes go out in the Leicestershire Alps (roads around Bradgate park) too.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • daveski12
    smidsy wrote:
    Quite a wide remit really.

Often around Belton, Diseworth, Kegworth, Gotham, East and West Leake. Even been known to go out Ashbourne way.

If I am forced to I sometimes go out in the Leicestershire Alps (roads around Bradgate park) too.

I work in East Leake so rides around Kegworth, Gotham etc would be good if its ok to join you one day? I'm quite slow though. I normally cycle to work through Clifton, Gotham but will go home through Kegworth to Long Eaton or Shardlow for a longer ride.
  • smidsy
    Dave - slow is relative. I only started in January and the few people I have been out with are all faster, they just accept that they will have to wait at some point and I accept that I may just give up and go home :-)

I work from home so fairly flexible on times. I often go out in the day especially if the weather is good (and likely to worsen in the evening).

Just pm me if your interested any time.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • daveski12
    Just don't laugh at my bike. I believe its whats known as retro, or vintage!

I haven't got the bike with me today but should have it tomorrow so I may be in touch then. Thanks Smidsy.
  • I'll be up for a bit of that, Dave & Steve. I'll be having a month off work soon yay :D to catch up on my riding, so should get more time from this weekend onwards.

I can even bring my 1981 Claud Butler to add more retro coolness :)
  • daveski12
    Sounds like a plan. Please bring the Claud Butler! I have a 80s Raleigh 'Pro Race' in white with flashes of orange and black, its got 12 index gears with shifters on the downtube.

I won't be able to ride during the day because of work but happy to meet somewhere after, I finish at 430.
  • Index? What is this "index" of which you speak? Such witchcraft wasn't around when Claud was cast from an ingot of finest iron. If they drop the bomb I expect Claud will be the only surviving sign of civilisation left in the entire world.
  • smidsy
    There is the nottingham event this Sunday which I thought about doing.

http://www.greatnottsbikeride.com/Rides.aspx

Was aiming for the 48m option.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • daveski12
    Index? What is this "index" of which you speak? Such witchcraft wasn't around when Claud was cast from an ingot of finest iron. If they drop the bomb I expect Claud will be the only surviving sign of civilisation left in the entire world.

I'd imagine this Raleigh would be there with it! Its managed 30 years so far.

I'm doing the Notts bike ride but only the 19 miler with my dad, probably on my MTB as he will be on his and seems a bit unfair to ride the Raleigh.

I did a 40 mile ride on my MTB a couple of years ago, the Belvoir BHF one if you know it, and that experience has put me off the 48 mile one.
  • My thread got hijacked by northerners :cry:

Anyroads is it me or is cyclebuddy just unfathomable? It looks lovely but I can''t see how to 'use' it?

Does one just search your area and message everyone within 10km asking for them to be my buddy?
  • daveski12
    My thread got hijacked by northerners :cry:

Anyroads is it me or is cyclebuddy just unfathomable? It looks lovely but I can''t see how to 'use' it?

Does one just search your area and message everyone within 10km asking for them to be my buddy?

Basically what I've done, emailed the people closest to me. Said in the email what I'm aiming for and my current level.
  • nickl360
    nickl360 Posts: 59
    daveski12 wrote:
    Index? What is this "index" of which you speak? Such witchcraft wasn't around when Claud was cast from an ingot of finest iron. If they drop the bomb I expect Claud will be the only surviving sign of civilisation left in the entire world.

I'd imagine this Raleigh would be there with it! Its managed 30 years so far.

I'm doing the Notts bike ride but only the 19 miler with my dad, probably on my MTB as he will be on his and seems a bit unfair to ride the Raleigh.

I did a 40 mile ride on my MTB a couple of years ago, the Belvoir BHF one if you know it, and that experience has put me off the 48 mile one.

I might be way off course but is this the same daveski who has a Clio and is a member on OcUK and Cliosport forums? If so, it's Lead_Head / nickl360.

I'm doing the Great Notts as well, the 100 miler though :cry:
  • daveski12
    Yep, that would be me! Hopefully try the 100 miler next year, I've only done about 20 miles in one go so far.

If you want to go for a ride let me know. I met up with Smidsy earlier, was a good ride. Still no reply from anyone on cycle buddy though.