3 shires ride today, in the sun!

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited July 2012 in Your pics and vids
After the washout the last week has been, decided against the cut gate ride we had planned and thought we'd do something more local and more importantly, wet weather friendly :)

So, 9:30 we set off from Clough house at Wildboarclough, heading up over the hill to make it down to 3 shires head.

A few choice pictures to give you a feel for the ride :)

Nice long descent down to 3 shires. Covered with fist sized boulders, few really good bits with rocks you can pop off on the way down
IMG-20120707-00043.jpg

3 shires, makes a nice snack stop
IMG-20120707-00045.jpg

took the right route at 3 shires and end up at the small river crossing by the old mines, still have yet to clear this fully, bit at the bottom catches you out as its a sharp turn at the end..
IMG-20120707-00055.jpg

up out of the valley and towards the cat and fiddle, then made our way down the opposite side of the valley
IMG-20120707-00059.jpg

stumbled across a lovely little natural jump, so pics had to be taken :) (me)
IMG-20120707-00071.jpg

my mate (mike)
IMG-20120707-00064.jpg

onwards down towards clough house again, was a bit damp
IMG-20120707-00072.jpg

Then we thought, the sun is out, why not do a macc forest loop while were out. So big climb up to the top of the forest to give you this
IMG-20120707-00080.jpg
from which we could see the pub, so off down to the old smithy for a well deserved pint and chips :mrgreen:

On the way, we had a look at the macc forest downhillers latest piece of work.. You know how you can't really get the proper feel / perspective of something on a pic, well this is looking down the drop in
CheshireEast-20120707-00082.jpg

doesn't look too bad eh?

CheshireEast-20120707-00081.jpg
puts a bit of scale to it :shock:

Needless to say, we didn't do it. So from the pub, up across and down charity lane and back to the car. What was intended to be a quick 2ish hr approx 8 mile ride turned into at least 15 miles and the whole morning, dam it was fun :wink:

Comments

• Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Wow!

If you fancy doing that one again - gizza shout!

Now wating for the fells to dry so we can get back to Cut Gate!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • loved the pics. Especially the last 4
  • DodgeT
    Clank wrote:
    Wow!

If you fancy doing that one again - gizza shout!

Now wating for the fells to dry so we can get back to Cut Gate!

Will do, we do (or certainly used to do) this route quite often.
    loved the pics. Especially the last 4

Glad you liked them. The 3rd from the last is nice, standing there and looking at the pub far away in the distance... and its downhill all the way :)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Im coming next time and will do that drop off for you :twisted:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Is there a map or instructions for the route you do? I'm always looking for new rides and that one is only about an hour n half from me at most so would be good for a change of scenery
    Norco Saint 2 SE
    http://flic.kr/p/cv5koo
    Trek 9.8 Carbon (sold)

Falling off my bike isnt due to the fact i cant ride, its all because i found ways that dont work
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Ha ha love ghetto dh trails
  • DodgeT
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Im coming next time and will do that drop off for you :twisted:

Cool, you will like the downhill..
    Is there a map or instructions for the route you do? I'm always looking for new rides and that one is only about an hour n half from me at most so would be good for a change of scenery

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/macc-forest-classic this covers quite a lot of the same route. Let us know when you plan on going, could maybe tag along.
    Majski wrote:
    Ha ha love ghetto dh trails

8)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I'll move nearer to the Peaks one day, awesome riding as always.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Cool pics, I like the look of the 3rd one, nice and steep and techy!
    Nice bike by the way :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • DodgeT
    Briggo wrote:
    I'll move nearer to the Peaks one day, awesome riding as always.

T'is nice having stuff like this only a short drive away. Would of course be better if the back garden led on to it....

ilovedirt wrote:
    Cool pics, I like the look of the 3rd one, nice and steep and techy!
    Nice bike by the way :)

It is quite steep, not too steep, but the rocks more than make it the tricky little bugger it is. I WILL clean it down there one day :)
    Cheers, it's a better bike than i'll ever be a rider, but at least I can grow with it :)
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    that drop looks cool,, whats the runout like on it.?
    i found my trail mojo again after my whistler trip....