Daily Express claiming July & August both to be terrible

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I am absolutely gutted. I was so looking forward to the summer season to really pile on the miles. June was dreadful and July has kicked off even worse. It appears the jetstream is down as low as northern france and is the reason for the unbelievably bad weather as the continental high pressure cant move upwards and its atlantic low pressure all the way. I did a bit of reading into the road melting summer of 1976 and it appears the jetstream was way up and allowed an abundance of continental high pressure to sit on top of the UK for an entire summer season. I remember that summer and the heat and its never been prolonged like that since unfortunately.

How was saturday riding in your area today ? At 8 am it was absolutely pouring down for me, but by 1 pm the rain had stopped, although it turned windy sadly.
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Thanks Mr Fish
  • squibnocket
    squibnocket Posts: 207
    On holiday in croyde bay for 10 days got out yesterday but not today, you have just get up and go .....sometimes in the rain, the joys of cycling in the UK. I'll be out tomorrow, rain or shine, getting some training miles in for 2 weeks in France at the end of July.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Wow, well if the Daily Express said it, it must be true....
    http://expressweather.tumblr.com/
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    First sunburn of the year yesterday 8)
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    JamesEs wrote:

What about those 2 weeks at the end of March when it was hot & sunny :?:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    it is indeed the jet stream, a few years ago i found this...

http://squall.sfsu.edu/crws/jetstream.html

...which is worth a look if you want to estimate chances of decent uk weather, use the north atlantic analysis, when the jetstream is over/south of uk, and is wavy/fragmented (as it has been for weeks), the weather is likely to be total cack
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    JamesEs wrote:

What about those 2 weeks at the end of March when it was hot & sunny :?:

Wasn't hot enough to burn, apparently! Or perhaps I was riding more shaded routes then.
  • Form all I've ever heard any forecast beyond five days ahead is guesswork - the probability of the modelling is very poor on that time frame
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Form all I've ever heard any forecast beyond five days ahead is guesswork - the probability of the modelling is very poor on that time frame

All forecasts are guesswork. If you want to know how confident they are just go onto the bbc weather site and click the 'yesterdays weather' tab - the only time you can get an accurate forecast :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Well I'm claiming that the Daily Express is terrible !

and why is this in 'Road Beginners' ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • choldy
    choldy Posts: 28
    put on your coat and think sunny thoughts, bugger the weather
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    At some point you just have to get out on the bike in the rain, then you realise its not that bad after all.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Well Saturday was great for me. Left Annesley (Notts) at 6:50 and it was dry but foggy untill Lincoln where the sun put his hat on all the way to Skegness when i arrived at half 11. Sadly the slower riders did get soaked as it started tipping it down about 12:30.
    but wont it be excellent when summer arrives... even if it is only half of September?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    What is it with the Daily Express and weather? Every week they seem to run an extreme story. Remember last winter seeing a headline stating temperatures were going to plummet to -30 degrees. Did it happen? No. Then whenever we get 2 sunny days (remember the sun?) it's going to be a heatwave and the country is going to melt.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Have they finally run the Diana well dry and they're just left with weather stories ?

If it is a crap summer - just think of the advantages. A saving on sun block and a chance to buy more wet weather gear. Hurrah !
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    cougie wrote:
    Have they finally run the Diana well dry and they're just left with weather stories ?

If it is a crap summer - just think of the advantages. A saving on sun block and a chance to buy more wet weather gear. Hurrah !

They've still got illegal immigrants, benefit scroungers and Pippa Middleton to write about- the well for shoddy journalism is still full :-)
  • BoydD
    BoydD Posts: 68
    I'm so sick of waiting for the sun I'm riding the rain. waterproof socks and a good waterproof and I'm really enjoying it. You see, despite the rain it is actually quite warm. I get a few mystified looks from car drivers mind.
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Cannondale Super Six 105
    Spesh Rockhopper
  • dindi_boy
    dindi_boy Posts: 24
    BoydD wrote:
    I'm so sick of waiting for the sun I'm riding the rain. waterproof socks and a good waterproof and I'm really enjoying it. You see, despite the rain it is actually quite warm. I get a few mystified looks from car drivers mind.

I've decided to adopt the same approach. I did 40 miles this morning and it didn't stop raining once. Think I'm going a bit mental because I still really enjoyed it. I'm determined that the weather won't beat me!
  • dindi_boy wrote:
    BoydD wrote:

I've decided to adopt the same approach. I did 40 miles this morning and it didn't stop raining once. Think I'm going a bit mental because I still really enjoyed it. I'm determined that the weather won't beat me!

I find that as long as I don't imagine I'm going to be dry and just accept I'm going to get wet and give in to it - it really doesn't matter (unless it very cold or on a long fast descent!).
  • Defyand
    Defyand Posts: 49
    What about the house prices in London?
  • izzy Eviel
    izzy Eviel Posts: 48
    Defyand wrote:
    What about the house prices in London?

Nothing to worry about for us multi-millionaires.

This weather is annoying. I can't work on my tan! It's July and I've had to go and buy arm warmers. I can do the cold and the rain, it's the wind that I can't stand. I'm a lightweight and whenever the wind is over 20kph I worry I'm gonna do a
    Mary Poppins and get blown across London :?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hmmm, who to trust more, the BBC and the Met Office, or Dirty Desmond's Daily Express and the one man band 'Positive Weather Solutions' or whatever they're called now....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."