Purchase Boardman and sell Kona??

stantheman206
stantheman206 Posts: 106
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Got the chance to buy a 2010-2011 boardman Fs pro. That year has the SRAM XO gearing and Reba's. It's pretty much brand new going for £695 from a mate.

I'm doing as much trail riding/ xc as i can (although fairly flat stuff living on the Norfolk/Suffolk border)

I currently have a Kona Caldera with Reba upgrade and unfortunately i can't afford to keep both, so if i decided to buy the boardman the kona would have go. I know they are completely different bikes but what do people think??

I've always wanted a full susser again (last one was nicked!) and the boardman has lock outs front and rear for the odd tarmac parts of my rides

any knowledge or advice shared would be appreciated

Comments

• Mmm. Ok let's put it to the vote. Sell kona and get boardman. Or keep kona and maybe upgrade wheels and brakes. Votes please and reasoning . Cheers Stan.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Which bike do you think rides better? That's the one you should have.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For me it's a no brainer, buy the Boardman, put all the best bits of the two on the Kona and sell the rest as single items to maximise your return!

Sorry was that not an option?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ask to borrow the boardman for a day and give it a good test.
  • Wayupnorth
    Wayupnorth Posts: 40
    Personal choice, you need to ride the Boardman.

I upgraded the Rebas on my Caldera with Revelations (great price for 2009 model online) and it is fantastic. Hardly used my Cube AMS Pro full suss since as the Caldera is so good now.
  • Wayupnorth wrote:
    Personal choice, you need to ride the Boardman.

I upgraded the Rebas on my Caldera with Revelations (great price for 2009 model online) and it is fantastic. Hardly used my Cube AMS Pro full suss since as the Caldera is so good now.

I thought that Revelations were below the Rebas in the range?? What travel did you fit to your caldera ?

I have been thinking of upgrading my Caldera but have little cash hence i thought i could sell the caldera and buy the boardman and not put much cash toward it!! Reckon i could knock my mate down to £600 may be less!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Revs are 150 mm and way too big for a 100mm travel bike, unless you get dual position and keep them wound down to 120mm, which would be stupid.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    cooldad wrote:
    Revs are 150 mm and way too big for a 100mm travel bike, unless you get dual position and keep them wound down to 120mm, which would be stupid.

The aboves were a 2009 model though, which are probably 130mm travel?

As has been said, ask for a test ride and go with the one that rides best. If you find that the kona does, do what the beginner said. Especially if you sell the spares individually rather than building the boardman up, you may be able to upgrade the kona for free.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    OK, but even 130 on a 100mm travel bike seems a bit much.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've been told the most i should go is 120mm on the kona and really there IS no upgrade to what i have (Reba team dual air) as they are about the best u can get?? Actually i think it was supersonic u advised me this some time ago in another forum. besides i think they are great! and would look to upgrade the el camino brakes and sun rims instead
  • Decision made...keep the kona and get a couple of new bits. Next question/s then.

1.New gear cables inner and outer which ones are best, xtr?

2.Also I need a new 9 speed cassette and chain. Which one to go for? Shimano or SRAM, I'm running XT rear mech.

3.Shifter - thinking up grading my rear shifter from deore to slx or XT. Again, which one is the better buy?

4. Front mech - worth upgrading from deore to slx or XT? and if so which one ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1/ Lots of choices, XT would be mine although Jagwire are a good budget alternative
    2/ KMC chain, 11-32 SLX cassette (lighter than XT 11-34), SRAM cassettes are made of butter (allegedly)
    3/ SLX unless 2-3 grams is worth the extra!
    4/ Not really worth it, I swapped from an XT to a Deore to save weight.....go figure but its true, no front mech ever shifts as nice as a rear as its just 'shoving the chain over' but if you want to save weight then weigh what you have and go from there, My XT (high mount) was 134g, the Deore (low mount) 124g, while I have an older LX high mount that is 135g so couldn't justify the cost of that XT for a 1g saving!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I would go for xt shifters as they feel less plasticky than the SLX/deore ones.
  • Yeah i've heard that the SLX feel a bit like plastic but they are only £27.99 (for one) at the moment from CRC. The XT are another £12 per side, is it worth it. I'm only changing the rear at the moment so i may well go for it.

Beginner - what is the SLX cassette model number ?? is it HG80 or similar??