Broken Rockshox Sektor fork?

Koconn123
Koconn123 Posts: 8
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
OK so I bought a new RS Sektor RL solo air fork (2011) and there is a problem, I think. When the fork is fully extended and I pull on the bars there is a tapping noise. I think its called topping out, but not sure. Can this be fixed by tightening the bolts at the bottom of each leg, or is it an internal problem... Or is it normal. Thanks. Pictures and/or videos are not a problem :D

Comments

• if you pressure the bars and use the fork travel then let go, does it clonk when it sets back at full travel?? - thats what i know as topping out,
    i'd be tempted to go through all the head set and make sure its spot on before fiddling with the fork, the nuts on the bottom of the lowers generally bolts in the internals inplace, they shouldnt be loose,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Never heard a noise like that from my Revs which seem basically the same as Sektors.
  • Koconn123
    If I gently push the bars down a little and then lift the bike it clonks. Should the bolts on the lowers be very tight? I've noticed that my rear shock ( marzocchi roco tst air 2011) does a similar thing, if I pick the bike up by the seat it clonks as if it wasn't fully extended?
  • bennett_346
    Have you got enough air in them?
  • Koconn123
    Yes. I followed the instructions on the sektors and have them sagged at 25%. The marzocchi is perfect as well. So its not an air problem?
  • bennett_346
    Maybe they just feel like that being a budget option.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    The only thing seperating the Sektors from Revs is the solo air spring and the rebound damper, so they arent really a budget fork

TBH i dont see what the problem is with the forks. If they work fine when you are sat on the bike, then whats the problem ?
  • Koconn123
    I was just making sure that it wasn't a small problem that may develop over time.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    You say the rear does the same?

Maybe its not the forks or the shock, check the du bush for wear.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bennett_346
    DCR00 wrote:
    The only thing seperating the Sektors from Revs is the solo air spring and the rebound damper, so they arent really a budget fork

TBH i dont see what the problem is with the forks. If they work fine when you are sat on the bike, then whats the problem ?
    Well, actually they are the budget option, instead of a Rev. That is what they are.
    SRAM wrote:
    A REVELATION IN VALUE

The RockShox Sektor is a perfect example of trickle down technology. Take the great performance and the chassis of the Revelation and tag it with a price you won’t believe.

And also there are other differences, the RL revs are about 200g lighter than the RL sektors and have motion control DNA as well as the dual flow rebound. The stanchions are also a better alloy of aluminium and the steerer isnt steel.

So they may well just make that noise as normal, like i suggested. A number of cheaper rockshox forks ive used have done that. Certainly all solo air ones i've had have had a clunky top out compared to the dual air spring i have now.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They should not top out. it may be the rear still as you unweight it.
  • Koconn123
    yes im pretty sure, Are the bolts on the bottom of each leg ment to be very tight? Last time i checked the were easy to turn with an allan key
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They should be tight.